Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Public Record California State Tax Lien

tag
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

Removing Public Record California State Tax Lien

I finally did it guys. I finally got it removed. It was a public record on my experian report that jus wouldnt go away. Id like to thank all the contributors on this sight for the help and insight. I also did a little research of my own. I wont take credit, or specify which step is the one that made the difference but ill just lisy my entire journey for anyone that may be interested.

1) initial dispute. Which came back verified

2) Once I found out that credit bureaus obtained some public records information from Lexis Nexis or Pacer (or at least thats what I was told by another person who has been into credit repair) I thought it would be a good idea to clean my Lexis Nexis Report Up

3) After the Lexis Nexis report was cleaned up. I re disputed with the credit bureau threatening to sue. My letter basically said

"I have spoke with various personell at the county recorders office and have obtained proof that they do not verify or even communicate with credit bureaus so there was no way my dispute was ever handled the proper way."
I then demanded that they remove the listing, and if not, I would sue for violation so the FCRA as well as wilful non compliance. I did not even have to write an intent to sue letter or actually file a lawsuit. I back doored experian and the account was removed within 6 days of receiving my second letter.....I was and still am ecstatic Smiley Happy

If anyone would like a copy of the letter I sent I dont mind sharing. It was pretty much the forum letters with a few things inserted and removed to fit my situation.

Again, thank you to all that helped me through this. Its been a long 3 years and given what I know now...Im pretty sure I could have got this removed sooner but hey...Im jus happy to have it removed.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
luckelle
Regular Contributor

Re: Removing Public Record California State Tax Lien

Please PM me your letter. I may may be able to apply it in Maryland. Thanks
Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 2 of 10
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

PM Sent @luckelle

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs are only required to forward a copy of a dispute if there is a "furnisher" of the information to the CRA.

That does not apply to public record information.

The CRAs obtain public record information, not by way of reporting by a court, but by way of their own review of public record information.

Thus, they need only check the current public record in order to verify,  They dont "refer" to anyone.

I dont see a violation of the statutory procedure for verifying public record information.

Congratulations on your success in obtaining removal, but I would caution others in taking the same postion that the CRA has violated the provisons of the FCRA disptue process by not having obtained verification from the court.

Message 4 of 10
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

"The CRAs obtain public record information, not by way of reporting by a court, but by way of their own review of public record information.

Thus, they need only check the current public record in order to verify,  They dont "refer" to anyone."

If this is the case, that means someone who is a victim of identity theft can continue to have this on their credit report simply because the CB doesnt have to conduct an investigation. Which also means they may continue to report fradulent information on your report simply because they dont have obtain any type of proof.

How can a credit bureau say they looked at your current public record to verify a dispute, when that information can only be furnished by the county recorder...that very same county recorder told me they dont provide anything to credit bureaus....

Thats something I am/was willing to take to court. Violation or not, it speaks truth and the CB was clearly lying to state they conducted an investigation in which a public record was verified. The only entity that can verify is the county recorder. That was my position...Thats what worked for me.

Message 5 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Public record information is posted by the court, but anyone can thereafter view it.

It is then in the public record.

Thus, the CRA reinvestigation is by way of simply reviewing the public record, not by way of obtaining verification from court personnel.

The fact that there is no furnisher verification is also the reason why public record information is explicitly excluded from the direct dispute process.

The court is not a furnisher to which a direct dispute can be sent.

Message 6 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your success in getting this removed! Good data points for others too.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 7 of 10
egojag

I would like a copy of the letter, I have 4 liens that have been paid and need removed. Thanks!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I realized this is an old post but I would like to know how you cleaned up Lexis Nexis report and if you have the copy of the letter still. I would love to have a copy of it. I am trying to get rid of the california state tax lien under Public Record from my equifax report. I would really appreciate your help! Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

To clean Lexi's Nexis report you have to request it and you can do this from their website. You can dispute info that's in there and you can also freeze it. Unfortunately, this might not help with Equifax they are very stubborn with tax lien. Experian are removing them now by just a phone a call. Good Luck.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.