Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Satisfied Judgment

tag
butterflydiamondj76
Established Member

Removing Satisfied Judgment

I recently had to fight a creditor to satisify a judgment that was paid off years ago.  The court finally updated it last year.  How do I have this removed from my credit report altogether?  Does this change the TL?  I'm trying to buy a house and I know public records are a negative.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
LadyLeah
Contributor

Re: Removing Satisfied Judgment

Wait, so the judgment was issued in error?

If so, the creditor will have to withdraw the judgment. Once that happens, you can file a dispute with the credit bureaus to have it removed. In my limited experience, I've learned that they won't remove a public record until it's removed from public record (or 7 years, whichever happens first).

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 20
butterflydiamondj76
Established Member

No the judgment was correct. The status was in error.  They never reported it as satisfied until last year after several years of threatening them.  It was back in 2009.  Now the satisfaction is listed as 2013. I heard that technically it stays on the report for 7-10 years, is that true?  So now do I have to wait two more years for it to potentially come off?

Message 3 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

File a motion to vacate judgment in the court that granted it based on fact it has been paid, if granted it is off your CRs now.

Message 4 of 20
butterflydiamondj76
Established Member

Ok, will keep you posted!

Message 5 of 20
butterflydiamondj76
Established Member

I am having a hard time finding either a sample or verbiage for this.  The court is in Maryland, District Court.  Does anyone know how to file a motion w/o a lawyer?

Message 6 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Contact the court clerk and ask them if they have a form for vacating a satisfied judgment. 

Some states do not allow for one to be vacated.

Message 7 of 20
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Hi Butterfly, I am going  through the same thing and every state is different.  Here in NJ there is a website with all of the do-it-yourself letterheads and documents you need to file a motion.  Try checking on your state or country website for such information or contact the county court clerk as I believe they are supposed to assist you through it.  If you come up with any info please keep us posted as I am curious! THANKS!

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Message 8 of 20
butterflydiamondj76
Established Member

Update: 

Call the clerk and there is no formal form to file a motion.  You can however, submit your request in writing and they will take care of it.  Starting on it right now!!

Message 9 of 20
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the update, are you going to use a different state's form or just write it all yourself?  Sounds like they are willing to work with you!

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.