Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a Closed Collection Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing a Closed Collection Account

Last year, I had an account with a navient subsidiary/CA but I paid it off towards before the end of the year. When I view my credit reports I can see that it has a payment status of Paid. I've talked to the CA but they say they can't remove things from credit reports so they recommend disputing it since it's been paid in full. I wish I came across your forum earlier because maybe I might have been able to negotiate a PFD or something related. What do you recommend should I dispute it or should I send the CA a GW letter? If I do the GW letter, I'm not sure who to contact. I've looked online but I can't find the exec/staff for the CA.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing a Closed Collection Account

Payment of a debt is not a basis for deletion of a reported collection.

To the contrary, official CRA policy, as stated in their standard credit reporting manual, specifically instructs debt collectors not to delete their reporting based on payment of the debt.

It is thus not a disputable inaccuracy.  Using that as basis for a dispute is effectively requesting the CRA to delete for reasons directly contrary to their own policy.

The correct procedure to request the debt collector to make a good-will deletion.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replying! So if I understand this correctly if the good-will deletion is honored, then the CA will delete it on their end which will in return delete it from the CRA?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have not had a written agreement prior to paying CA.....they do not have to remove from your credit file. GW letter may increase your chances, all you can do is hope. You can certainly try to dispute with credit bureau but that may not work neither.

I have done the PFD with good success ....some required full payment to delete.... some took a lesser agreed amount for deletion. If they were not removed within 60 days, I disputed with credit Bureaus stating Creditor agreed to delete.... then they were removed completely. Get agreements in writing.

Collection Agencies only care about payment. Not you.

This is how it worked for me....everyone will have different success stories. I wish you the best of luck!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disputed a paid collection. I'm hoping for the best as well. I have 3 more that are in collections and will be negotiating a PFD. Good luck 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.