Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing a Collection

Help, please Smiley Happy

I payed a collection to a CA, before knowing about PFD. I have since worked with the OC, and have a letter from them stating that the collection has been settled, and should be removed from my credit. It references the CA's account number, and specifically says that it should be removed from my credit. Should I send this to the CB or the CA? Which one would I have better luck with, in getting the collection deleted?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Removing a Collection

How long has it been since you paid the collection and they agreed to remove it? If a very short while, I would give them a chance to live up to their side of the agreement, since they aren't supposed to remove for payment.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The collection was payed in March, to the CA, but there was no agreement at that time. I've been on the phone with the OC this week, which is how I got them to send me a letter stating it should be removed. I don't think it's the normal path, but feel there's a chance it could work. I'm just not sure which would be better.... send the letter to the CA or the CB.

Message 3 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Who is reporting on your credit? The CA?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CA reported, but the OC is listed as the OC under the collection itself. The letter is on letterhead from the OC.

Message 5 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The CA reported, but the OC is listed as the OC under the collection itself. The letter is on letterhead from the OC.

OK. I would call the CA and specify that you have a letter from the OC stating that this should have been removed from your credit. Try and work with them. Here's the tricky part. CAs have every right to report valid data and to leave that data on your report until the reporting timeframe expires. The OC cannot force the CA to remove accurately reported data, which it sounds like this is. 

Call the CA and try and work with them on this. I wouldn't dispute with the CRA until you've given this option a solid effort.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thanks! I'll work with the CA first, and then hopefully update this thread with good news Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Looking forward to your updates, good luck!

Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The reporting of the collection was by the debt collector, and only they can agree to delete.

The OC is offering an opinion that is contrary to the credit reporting guidelines issued by the CRAs, which instructs furnishers that they should not delete reporting based on payment of the debt. 

I would be careful not to become confrontational with the debt collector, as they are acting in accordance with their reporting guidelines.

I would treat any communication as a discretionary good will request.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! You make a good point. There's not a lot to stand on here - I'm treating the letter more like an addendum to a GW request, and we'll see how far it gets. I'll update this thread with any results!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.