Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a Judgment

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

Removing a Judgment

Back in Feb. 2004, I was sued by my landlord over non-payment of rent based on the fact that I pleaded with him over 8 months to repair the roof of the apartment building, that eventually broke through the ceiling and ruined my home office. I lost the case and was handed down a stipulated judgment from the LA Superior Court. I never paid, because the destruction of my home office from rain water spilling on my computer, filing cabinet, high-end photo printer and other equipment set me back about a full year in my business.

So now it's 7 years later and I want to quickly remove the Judgment from my credit report, how do I successfully go about doing that? Considering that the landlord could re-up the Judgment another 3 years (I think, it might be 5)? 

What do I need to mail to the LA Superior Court? What do I need to mail to the 3 CRA?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
opticman

Re: Removing a Judgment

Well I don't know but I am working on removing a judgement myself. My CR shows a judgement but the judgement was vacated. But it still shows on 2 of the 3 CRA. I disputed it with them but it was verified. I talked to the lawyer who sued us and he wasn't much help. He suggested contacting the CRA and providing them a copy of the judge's order to vacate but I am not optomistic about that helping after reading other posts here.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@opticman wrote:

Well I don't know but I am working on removing a judgement myself. My CR shows a judgement but the judgement was vacated. But it still shows on 2 of the 3 CRA. I disputed it with them but it was verified. I talked to the lawyer who sued us and he wasn't much help. He suggested contacting the CRA and providing them a copy of the judge's order to vacate but I am not optomistic about that helping after reading other posts here.

The CRAs have to remove vacated judgments.  Sometimes, though, you need to slap them upside the head to make them open their eyes and take notice.  Which two CRAs still report the judgment?

I'd send them a written dispute and include a copy of the court order vacating the judgment.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PayYouNever wrote:

Back in Feb. 2004, I was sued by my landlord over non-payment of rent based on the fact that I pleaded with him over 8 months to repair the roof of the apartment building, that eventually broke through the ceiling and ruined my home office. I lost the case and was handed down a stipulated judgment from the LA Superior Court. I never paid, because the destruction of my home office from rain water spilling on my computer, filing cabinet, high-end photo printer and other equipment set me back about a full year in my business.

So now it's 7 years later and I want to quickly remove the Judgment from my credit report, how do I successfully go about doing that? Considering that the landlord could re-up the Judgment another 3 years (I think, it might be 5)? 

What do I need to mail to the LA Superior Court? What do I need to mail to the 3 CRA?

Thanks

Judgments live on your credit report only for 7 years.  If the judgment is older than 7 years from the date the judgment was rendered by the court (7 years and one month for Experian), than you should be able ot dispute it with the credit reporting agencies and have it removed without any court involvement at all.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.