Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a Settled account

tag
Swifterz
Established Member

Removing a Settled account

So before I found this board and all the helpful information, I accepted and paid a settlement for less then the full balance owed on two accounts in collection. I now know that it is better to do a PFD, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach getting these 2 TLs removed off. I'm not sure if a GW letter is the right way to approach it since the accounts were not paid in full or if I should send a PFD and offer to pay the remaining balance off in full to have it removed. I searched around the forums trying to find a situation similiar to this but didn't have much luck. Thanks in advance for the help. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing a Settled account

If settled, regardless of the amount they chose to accept, there is no longer any debt upon which to base a PFD offer.

The path is to send a GW request.

You may need to send separate requests to both the debt collector and the OC if there is negative reporting remaining under the OC account.

Message 2 of 4
Swifterz
Established Member

Thanks, I thought that a GW would be the way to go, but I'm having a hard time wording the letter since we didn't pay it in full and only took a settlement. I'm going through the GW examples and trying to find something that resembles the situation I'm in to help with the wording. 

Message 3 of 4
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Swifterz wrote:

Thanks, I thought that a GW would be the way to go, but I'm having a hard time wording the letter since we didn't pay it in full and only took a settlement. I'm going through the GW examples and trying to find something that resembles the situation I'm in to help with the wording. 

I've had success in GW removal on a settled collection.   Remember that a GW, because it appears to the personal aspect of the situation, should be personal.  Just tailor one to fit your situation

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.