Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a Tax Lien Public record

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing a Tax Lien Public record

I successfully got my tax lien withdrawn by the IRS, but it still showed on my credit reports, and on public record.

The most popular guide online that tells you how to deal with tax liens has information that differs from my experience.

The guide helped me get the lien withdrawn, but then the guide said that the tax lien in public records was removed, and the credit report was fixed after filing a dispute.

This did not happen for me.

The withdrawal notice was posted onto public record , so now I had 3 tax lien public notices. 1 for the original, 2 for the release, 3 for the withdrawal.

I am in Palm Beach County Florida, so it may be different for where you live.

When I disputed with the credit companies , only experian removed the negative public record,  the other 2 replied that the public record still exists.

I have filed new disputes and uploaded the withdrawal document. I'm waiting to see what happens.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing a Tax Lien Public record

Yhe documents that you provided will likely result in removal.

The CRAs are currently under a civil action based on lack of proper update of public record information (Jenkins v. EQ).

I would specilate that they will quickly resolve the matter once you provide factual documents.......

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you include a copy of the Withdrawl of Filed Notice of Federal Tax Lien after Release (IRS Form 10916-A) with your disputes? If not I would try once again. Get the copy that was filed with the Palm Beach County Clerk of Courts, not the one the IRS sent you. Add the book/page number if it's not shown on the document.

When I had my lien withdrawn I asked the IRS to notify Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. Experian and Transunion promptly deleted, but Equifax didn't. I ordered a certified copy of the 10916-A from my local clert of courts and mailed a dispute to Equifax and it still came back as verified. I had to file a CFPB complaint against Equifax to get it removed.

For good measure, don't forget Lexis Nexis. Get your Full File Disclosure and make sure it's gone from there as well. It never showed up on mine but it doesn't hurt to check.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for that great information, 

while disputing this second time I did supply the public record copy with the public record number to one of the CRAs

One of the CRAs does not have the option to upload a file when disputing a public record which seems odd.

I will check on lexis nexis.

I did not know about CFPB complaint, so I will pursue that if I need to.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update.

I filled out the online dispute for experian and trans union on 9/30/2016 , and by 10/4/2016 equifax had removed it from my credit report.

On 10/9/2016 I got an email saying that trans union had deleted it, but it has not deleted from elsewhere yet, I assume that it will though.

(experian had removed it automatically without me needing to dispute it)

If my score goes up I will let you know, (since it was already not showing on experian, I am not sure if my score will go up)

good luck all

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.