cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a fully paid charge off account from my report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing a fully paid charge off account from my report?

Hi All, I signed up for a Macy's credit card in 2013, which was carged off in August 2016, for a $40 amount.  In November 2016 I paid this account in full, I don't recall negotiating a pay for delete with them.  This account is on my record and dragging me down in hopes of getting a mortgage end of year.

Macy's says I should fax a dispute on their fax number 513-754-9890 (and/or PO BOX 8218), explaining reason for delay and requesting a delete.  They didn't give me a phone number, and all the numbers I tried on here keep saying that this is a charged off account and I should fax above number.  

Reasons for delay:

1.  Should I write a letter to them explaining the reason for late (they have on file a record saying that they mailed me the statement and also a note from USPS that delivery bounced, Citi Bank confirmed failed delivery).  I moved locations and my place does not get mail delivered, and needs me to have a PO BOX that I wasn't aware of

2.  I also had a new job at the time, which I was settling into, and this slipped through

Questions:

1.  Can this letter backfire and they'll make a note making it difficult to remove later?

2.  If so, should I instead hire someone like Sky Blue/Lexington Law for this?

3.  If I write a letter, can someone share a link to sample ones?

4.  This is a Macy's credit card controlled by Citi.  Should I write a letter to Macys or Citi or credit bureau?

5.  Any specific number I should try for charged off?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing a fully paid charge off account from my report?

You should not dispute, as there is no inaccuracy.

You are requesting a good-will deletion of the charge-off, and are not contesting the accuracy of their reporting.  Filing a dispute may later act contrary to grant of good-will when you file a good-will request.

You always send a request for good-will deletion to the party who reported the information, and NOT to the CRA.

CRA reporting policy clearly instructs furnishers not to delete reporting based on payment of the debt, as the CRAs are in business to sell credit reports, and view deletion of legitimate credit history information as lessening the value of their product.  Thus, sending a request to a CRA for deletion is tantamount to requesting they act contrary to their own policy.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

USPS is willing to give me a letter saying that they do not deliver to that address, they asked me to come back in 5 days.  I'm thinking I'll get that letter, request to forgive given I wasn't receiving mails, and that as a courtesy the delete now that I have paid.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a specific number I should call for charged off accounts (either Macy's or Citi)?  It seems they only have a PO BOX 8218 that would accept anything in writing.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.