Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a paid collection?

tag
five22bags

Removing a paid collection?

Okay, long story short:

In February 2003 I ran up a $900 cell phone bill in one month. I was young and stupid. I decided not to pay it. As you would imagine, it got bounced around a few times and eventually went into collections (which I of course knew nothing of, I just assumed I'd never be a Verizon customer again). Finally in 2006, the ever so notorious Midland Credit Management got a hold of me, and I stupidly and blindly agree to pay it in full without an agreement to have it removed from my credit report when it was done. So, in July of 2006 I paid it off to MCM in full.

I found this on a google search which was a comment left by nice people such as yourselves:

Under the Running of Reporting Period - Section 605 [15 U.S.C. § 1681c] this paid off collection will remain reported for a total of 7 1/2 years from the date of delinquency. The date of delinquency still refers to the original delinquency with the original creditor, regardless of when the collection agency began working the debt. This includes debts that have been bought by a collection agency. Collection agencies cannot legitimately "re-set the clock."

Is there any truth to that? Can I use that as a leverage to get it removed from my report for being obsolete? Or almost obsolete in this case. I've read success stories of people getting their negative remarks removed 6-8 months ahead of time by just saying to the CRA that its "obsolete". 

Anyone have advice on this? I've actually sent DVs to MCM in the past and they never respond. I'm willing to bet that they don't have my original signature for my cell phone from 2002 on file, so I thought DV would be the way, but they never respond with anything. Should I call them if DV is the way to go?

Thanks everyone for looking at this and for your help.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Removing a paid collection?

@five22bags wrote:
Okay, long story short:

In February 2003 I ran up a $900 cell phone bill in one month. I was young and stupid. I decided not to pay it. As you would imagine, it got bounced around a few times and eventually went into collections (which I of course knew nothing of, I just assumed I'd never be a Verizon customer again). Finally in 2006, the ever so notorious Midland Credit Management got a hold of me, and I stupidly and blindly agree to pay it in full without an agreement to have it removed from my credit report when it was done. So, in July of 2006 I paid it off to MCM in full.

I found this on a google search which was a comment left by nice people such as yourselves:

Under the Running of Reporting Period - Section 605 [15 U.S.C. § 1681c] this paid off collection will remain reported for a total of 7 1/2 years from the date of delinquency. The date of delinquency still refers to the original delinquency with the original creditor, regardless of when the collection agency began working the debt. This includes debts that have been bought by a collection agency. Collection agencies cannot legitimately "re-set the clock."

Is there any truth to that? Can I use that as a leverage to get it removed from my report for being obsolete? Or almost obsolete in this case. I've read success stories of people getting their negative remarks removed 6-8 months ahead of time by just saying to the CRA that its "obsolete". 

Anyone have advice on this? I've actually sent DVs to MCM in the past and they never respond. I'm willing to bet that they don't have my original signature for my cell phone from 2002 on file, so I thought DV would be the way, but they never respond with anything. Should I call them if DV is the way to go?

Thanks everyone for looking at this and for your help.

Do you know the DOFD (Date of First Delinquency)? It will drop off 7.5 years from that date. Since you paid it in full back in 2006 you really have no leverage. You can send a GW (Good Will) letter and ask that it be removed early but that's about it.

If the DOFD was sometime in Feb. of 2003 then it will die of old age in about August of 2010.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.