Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing an authorized user

tag
abbafan
Regular Contributor

Removing an authorized user

I'm currently an authorized user on my dad's Discover card. If he removes me, will the account's last reported balance remain on my credit history and affect my utilization ratio or not?

TIA.
Discover IT $15500, Barclay Rewards $12380, Barclay Ring $13000, Cap1 Savor $7250, Chase Freedom Unlimited $9000, Best Buy Visa $12000 , Bethpage Low Rate MC - $9000, Bethpage LOC - $15000, CITI Double Cash - $21000
EQ 783
TU 798
EX 767
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing an authorized user

@abbafan wrote:
I'm currently an authorized user on my dad's Discover card. If he removes me, will the account's last reported balance remain on my credit history and affect my utilization ratio or not? No. Once you're removed and it reports, then all of that history is gone.

TIA.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

was wondering this also, As my accounts age and I am now getting better cards and higer SP CLI. Will removing my DW off my cards, and hers off mine get rid of the account information on each others CR.

If it does it will help her Some by giving back Her AAoA ( not having cards that appear to be new) it will also help my AAoA because she has a few new cards that have brought down my AAoA. it won't hurt our UtiI because its already very low. it will only really lower our avalable credit that of coarse will grow as we both get CLI's. I'd just stay on her 2 oldest ones.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@abbafan wrote:
I'm currently an authorized user on my dad's Discover card. If he removes me, will the account's last reported balance remain on my credit history and affect my utilization ratio or not?

TIA.

No. Only the CURRENT reported balances on OPEN accounts is used. It will simply look like an old closed account.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

was wondering this also, As my accounts age and I am now getting better cards and higer SP CLI. Will removing my DW off my cards, and hers off mine get rid of the account information on each others CR.

If it does it will help her Some by giving back Her AAoA ( not having cards that appear to be new) it will also help my AAoA because she has a few new cards that have brought down my AAoA. it won't hurt our UtiI because its already very low. it will only really lower our avalable credit that of coarse will grow as we both get CLI's. I'd just stay on her 2 oldest ones.

Many people have said they stay on as an historical account, just like any closed account.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my personal experience, the account will show on your credit report with a zero balance and display the status of the account ( in good standing or in bad standing). It will effect your credit utilization because you no longer have that line of credit with Discover. There's not enough information to tell whether or not removing this credit card will effect your score positively or negatively. But this may be different for others,when I removed myself from my wife's Macy card, we had a $2000 credit line with a $50 balance. It doesn't display this information, just that I had the card for x amount of years and that I made my payment on time and I canceled the card in good standing. Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I know as this morgage comes closer ( prepping hers and my CR ) some lenders don't like the AU thing. So might as well keep em and close to the date do the removal, unless they're goning make us dispute them also. Didnt mean to hijack the post but I think it helped both of us LOL

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW: when I removed myself as AU from my ex's CC's the entire payment history was removed from EQ and EX

right now there's no entry on any of my reports that I was ever AU

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.