Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing collections

tag
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Removing collections

I have 3 more collections AFNI (ATT) for $142. (Occurred in 2014) Southern credit recovery (medical bill) for $559(fall off in 2017), Telerecovery for $312. TFC for $4888 (fall off 10/2017). Which would you tackle first?
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing collections

I would first concentrate on those that are updating monthly, as that updating effects your score.

As for "tackling," what specifically is your overall plan of attack?

Are you seeking their immediate removal, which would likely require you to offer $$ in the form of a PFD offer, or are you seeking to negotiate a settlement for less, or are you seeking to wait it out for credit report exclusion?  If the latter, then when does the SOL expire on the debt?

Strategies vary.......

Message 2 of 28
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Today I received a letter from another CA for the AFNI(ATT) should I pay to settle?
Message 3 of 28
Caitt
Regular Contributor

Switched collections

In order to get this removed from my cr from AFNI for ATT, do I pay the other CA or do I pay ATT?
TIA
Message 4 of 28
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Switched collections

Only the party reporting the information can then update that reporting by its deletion.

If deletion of the collection is your goal, then a PFD should go to them.

A alternative exists if the debt collector only has assigned collection authority, and does not own the debt.

Per CRA policy, if a debt collector has their collection authority terminated with the debt remaining unpaid, they are instructed to delete their collection.

The CRAs have that policy to prevent the liklihood of another debt collector then obtaining collection authority and also reporting, resulting in two collections simultaneously showing in the consumer's credit report based on the same debt.

Thus, you can contact the debt owner and ask them to terminate their assignment to the debt collector BEFORE you pay them, and then accept payment directly from you.

If they terminate prior to acceptng your payment, you then contact the CRA and obtain deletion of the collection based on the CRA reporting policy.

Message 5 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Switched collections

Hi there OP,

I have combined your second thread on this into this original thread. Please do not start new theads on the same subjects. Thanks for your understanding on this Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 28
Caitt
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG so if I pay the new collection the old collection will be deleted?
Message 7 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Caitt wrote:
@RobertEG so if I pay the new collection the old collection will be deleted?

Per the CRA operations manual only one CA can report on a TL at the same time so the first should automatically remove their reporting. You can dispute it as "doesnt have collection authority" if it doesnt disappear in a timely fashion. Paying the second CA has nothing to do with the first.

Message 8 of 28
Caitt
Regular Contributor

I sent the 2nd CA a pfd and this is what I received
To whom it may concern,
We are in receipt of your email for requesting validation through our website. Unfortunately, our agency would not be able to delete the account from the credit bureaus entirely as we are required to report the accurate standing of the account per FCRA guidelines. If an account is settled-in-full, it would reflect as such with a residual balance remaining. The account has been updated and placed on hold in an investigatory status. We will request documentation from our client. Our agency will no longer attempt to communicate with you during the investigation of this account.

Please contact us at customercare@ercbpo.com if you have further questions or concerns.

Warm Regards,
Message 9 of 28
Caitt
Regular Contributor

I called ATT and they told me they purged all of my information and do not have anything. But when I chatted online with an online rep she told me I would have to contact ERC. When I called ERC they informed me they could not delete it once I paid it that they will update it as paid or settled. What do I do now?
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.