Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing credit inaccuracies as quickly as possible

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing credit inaccuracies as quickly as possible

I have an inaccuracy on my credit reports from ERC.  I have an email from them stating it was inaccurate and do not have my account in their system anymore.  They stated that they would report it to the credit agencies to have it removed.  What would the fastest way to have these removed from my credit reports?  Should I call all three credit reporting agencies to let them know about the inaccuracy and start a dispute? Need to buy a car soon for work and need this off the report asap.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Removing credit inaccuracies as quickly as possible

Did the notice from the debt collector stem from a prior dispute, either directly with them or via a CRA, or was it the outcome of only an informal investigatin on their part?

Formal disputes of accuracy have a 30 day conclusion of investigation/reinvestigation requirment, and mailing of the notice of results within 5 business days thereafter.

Informal communications do not establish any firm time periods.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So here is a little more information:

Enhanced Recovery Collections is on my credit reports saying I owe them.  They have been reporting each month since 2014.  I spoke to them yesterday and they stated they have not had my account since 2015 and had been sent back to original creditor.  I had paid the full amount of the debt to the original creditor back in 2015.  If ERC has not had my account since 2015, how are they able to continue to report on this debt?  Need it removed asap.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If they are admitting that they no longer have collection authority, then they are required to have deleted their collection.

I would file a dispute with the CRA, asserting that the collectin be deleted based on their admitted termination of collection authority.

The direct approach would be to have the debt collector immediately report deletion to the CRa, thus short-circuiting the need for the back-and-forth that will likely stretch for a month while the CRA processes a formal dispute.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.