Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing medical debt collection item

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing medical debt collection item

I open this topic to ask for advices & also to summary the steps that I took or will take for others that in the same situation.

I recently found out that I messed up and didn't pay 1 hospital bill (thought that insurance cover it). It's $600 & the debt has already been sold to a CA. They reported it as a collection item. It's the only negative mark on my credit report, and I would like to have it removed. However, now that it's in the credit report, paying it alone doesn't help. I have send them an pay for delete letter about 15 days ago, offering to pay $500 (original amount without the tacked on interest). However, I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

What do you guy recommend I do to remove this collection item?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: Removing medical debt collection item

Keep trying. I assume you already validated the debt or know that it is in fact yours? I would wait a couple more weeeks for a reply and then try again. I would even agree to PIF if they would delte the record, trust me, its worth the extra 100 bucks to have it gone. I have been trying to get an old paid utliltiy removed and Im on letter #12. Just keep trying, try different people and maybe emails and faxes.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a valid debt that I have overlooked. My first time going to a hospital, and I didn't know that they bill seperately. The doctor sent the bill right away, and I paid. Then appearantly, the hospital sent another bill a month or two later. I didn't found out until getting a credit report. I don't mind paying, including the ridiculus interest that the CA charge. However, I won't pay a dime if they don't agree on removing the negative mark.

I disputed it with the 3 CRA. It's probably won't help thou. I haven't asked for a validation yet. Is it possible to use HIPPA law to force a removal? Anyone has success using that method?

Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a valid debt that I have overlooked. My first time going to a hospital, and I didn't know that they bill seperately. The doctor sent the bill right away, and I paid. Then appearantly, the hospital sent another bill a month or two later. I didn't found out until getting a credit report. I don't mind paying, including the ridiculus interest that the CA charge. However, I won't pay a dime if they don't agree on removing the negative mark.

I disputed it with the 3 CRA. It's probably won't help thou. I haven't asked for a validation yet. Is it possible to use HIPPA law to force a removal? Anyone has success using that method?

Welcome to the forums.

The HIPAA process only works once you have paid the OC (Original Creditor). Unfortunately we can't go into great detail about HIPPA ( legal considerations) but if you do an internet search you can find more information.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

The debt was $570. I sent in a pay for delete letter offering $500. Today, I receved a letter from them offering to pay for delete at $655 (tack on about $80 interest & fee).

The letter said they must received the payment by 2:00 pm on September 30 (kinda rush given that today is 27) or the offer is void. Should I take it? And anything I should be aware of?

Message 5 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Keep a copy of the letter they sent saying they would delete it FOREVER.

Western Union them the money and keep a copy of the wire or whatever Western Union gives (that indicates date/time sent) FOREVER.

Yes definitely take the deal.  But CYA.  Congrats!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 7
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Most CA work on a monthly basis. Meaning, they want their collections paid by the end of the month so they can meet their collection quota. I would take the offer and run with it. You may not get the chance again.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.