Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing my oldest account??

tag
shane1120
Contributor

Removing my oldest account??

Question,

My oldest account is from 2004 from GE\AMERICAN EAGLE. I was young and dumb with the CC and it was sent to collections. I paid the resulting collections account off and it is no longer reporting to my report. However the original GE account is reporting to my report as closed\charged off. I put in a GW request to GE and they submitted it to their customer service team for review. I then submitted a dispute with Experian and trans union. What can I expect if this account gets removed? Will my score go down as it will be a hit to my AAoA? Or will my score increase as a charge-off will be removed from my report?

thanks 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Removing my oldest account??

Hi shane1120 and welcome to the forums!!! Do you know when the account was closed? or does it show a fall off date?

Message 2 of 8
shane1120
Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

Hi shane1120 and welcome to the forums!!! Do you know when the account was closed? or does it show a fall off date?

it shows as follows:

Date Open:12/01/2004 
Last Updated:09/01/2010
Message 3 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Paid in full charge-offs could give you a bump in score it also depends what else you have on your credit reports. The DoFD is important to know that will let me know when it will be excluded from your CR. Equifax will show the DoFD, TU and EX will have removal dates.

Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Your score would take a hit for removing your oldest account.  What is your next oldest one?

And you would gain points for it being removed so the score may even out.

I would always advocate a clean report over AAoA.

Message 5 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

+1 I recently took a big hit on scoring cause I cleaned up my credit reports which affected my AAoA. But now i have clean reports just a Public Record (BK 7) from 2004. Not affecting my scores.

Message 6 of 8
shane1120
Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Your score would take a hit for removing your oldest account.  What is your next oldest one?

And you would gain points for it being removed so the score may even out.

I would always advocate a clean report over AAoA.

My next oldest account is a closed account in 2004 from Capital One and a Clsoed CC account from 2005.

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If they are both from 2004 sometime, then the hit you take will be minimal.  Open and closed accounts factor into AAoA.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.