Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing myself as authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing myself as authorized user

I am currently at 540EQ, 545TR, and 562EX. I have no mortgages or auto loans, no inquiries, and one credit card. I'm also an authorized user on two of my husband's credit cards. I have four collection accounts, all medical bills. 

My credit card has a balance of $660 out of $750 credit limit. 

Both of my husband's cards are maxed out and over limit. They have balances of roughly $550 and $3k.

If I removed myself as an authorized user on his cards, would my credit score go up?  

How should I handle the medical collections? Would paying those off help my score as well? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Removing myself as authorized user

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently at 540EQ, 545TR, and 562EX. I have no mortgages or auto loans, no inquiries, and one credit card. I'm also an authorized user on two of my husband's credit cards. I have four collection accounts, all medical bills. 

My credit card has a balance of $660 out of $750 credit limit. 

Both of my husband's cards are maxed out and over limit. They have balances of roughly $550 and $3k.

If I removed myself as an authorized user on his cards, would my credit score go up?  

How should I handle the medical collections? Would paying those off help my score as well? 

Quite possibly, they are not doing you any good but yours is also too high, you only want 1 card reporting a small balance of less than 9% of its CL. AS far as the medicals they will only help in the near term if they are removed, medicals are some of the easiest to get removed. Welcome to posting Smiley Happy

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! I did a LOT of reading on the forums last night and decided to move forward with removing myself as an AU on both accounts. I am working on paying my CC down and should have it under 9% soon. I'm now looking at adding some small CCs to help bring my score up. Learned the shopping cart method last night! 

Message 3 of 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Don't go overboard on the SCT, just get a couple of cards that you will use.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - how did the SCT go? which cards did you get? have you seen any HPs yet?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.