Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

tag
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

I have three tax liens from around the same time frame. All were paid quickly after they were filed. The leins are from two states and one from the IRS. One in on courthouse, two in another.

What are the options for having these removed from my report? From searching these forums, I see the following ideas:

* File motion to vacate in the courthouse, if vacated forward ruling to CRAs.

* Dispute and/or sue based on FCRA violaions since a 3rd party collected the info from the courthouses then sold it to the CRAs without first notifying me that they were going to do that.

* Send GW letters to each tax authority and ask them to remove the info from the credit report.

* Contact the court clerks asking them to provide a letter that can be given to the CRAs.

Which idea(s) are best? Which can actually work? What is the best strategy to handle these?

Message 1 of 98
97 REPLIES 97
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Re: Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

I have two liens from the state on my credit and I dont know if it is the same but I was advised to contact the tax department and get a letter stating my release of lien.  Then I had to go to the clerk of courts where they gave me a letter to have it removed from the credit bureaus.  As of today I still have to mail those documents off to the bureaus so that it can be updated.  It may be a bit easier than we think depending on where you live.

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 2 of 98
brcamacho
Regular Contributor

I have the same issue, but after mailing proof that the Judgments were satisfied.  I was told they would still be on my report, just reflecting they are paid until they fall off.

TU-688 5/14 (WM TU) | EX-692 on 2/14 (FNBO EX) | EQ-666 on 01/13

NFCU GoRewards $25k | NavChek $15k | Chase Slate 7.5k
Barclays Rewards $3.4k | FNBO MC $2.3K | Cap1 Plat $1.9k
Cap1 Quicksilver $1.7k | Wmt Discover $4.5k | Amazon Store Card $3k Care Credit $3.5k | Kohls $300 | Victoria's Secret $500
Cap1 Quicksilver $2k | Barclays Apple Visa $600

Message 3 of 98
iwant700fico
Frequent Contributor

IRS has a new policy that will remove satisfied tax liens from your credit. On February 24th, 2011 the IRS announced new policies regarding the collection of unpaid taxes and liens. Specifically, if the tax payer pays their liens “in full” the IRS will “withdraw” them.

hope this helps

EQ 786 2/2018
TU 792 8/2018
EX 776 2/2018 Chase CSR $28.5k
Barclay Advantage $17.5 k
Amex BCE $29k
CITI Advantage $24.2k
Amex HILTON $13k
Total Rewards visa $20K
Chase INK $11k
Chase Sapphire Reserve $28.5k
BOA 8k
Discover IT 8K
Message 4 of 98
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@iwant700fico wrote:

IRS has a new policy that will remove satisfied tax liens from your credit. On February 24th, 2011 the IRS announced new policies regarding the collection of unpaid taxes and liens. Specifically, if the tax payer pays their liens “in full” the IRS will “withdraw” them.

hope this helps

Thanks. I called the IRS and they referred me to the "Fresh Start Program"

For others interested, to remove an IRS lien that has been paid, you do the following:

1) fill out IRS form 12277. In box 11 select the last option "best interest of taxpayer and government". In box 12, type "Fresh Start Program" (search irs.gov for form 12277)

2) Fax form to phone number for your area as listed in publication 4235. (search IRS.gov for pub 4235)

3) Wait 30-45 days

4) The IRS will file a withdrawal with the court house where the lean was filed and will mail you a copy

5) provide your copy of the withdrawal to the three CRAs to expedite removal 

Calling the state tax departments did no good (for my two states). They simply offered to provide proof that the tax liability has been paid. They will not help remove it completely. 

Message 5 of 98
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Yeah they wont reach out the the credit bureau but what i was told is that they would give me the paper work and I can send it off myself.  So I did it today, i'll let you know how it works out! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 98
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@Chbraswell wrote:

Yeah they wont reach out the the credit bureau but what i was told is that they would give me the paper work and I can send it off myself.  So I did it today, i'll let you know how it works out! Smiley Happy

Is that the IRS or a state? What state?

The IRS was cooperative, but the two states I contacted were not.

Message 7 of 98
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

State and it is Ohio 

Message 8 of 98
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@Chbraswell wrote:

State and it is Ohio 

Hope it works. West Virginia and Indiana were not that helpful. I sent letters to both courts asking the clerk if they would provide me a letter that I could forward to the CRAs to try to get deletes.

Message 9 of 98
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@Chbraswell wrote:

State and it is Ohio 

Ohio tax liens are judgment liens and are filed with the clerk of courts. While the procedure you have mentioned will have the lien recorded as released, it won't necessarily remove it from your credit file. A released tax lien can stay on your credit file for seven years from the date it is recorded as released.

The IRS's new procedure is to have the lien withdrawn. This is separate from having it released. By having it withdrawn it is treated as if it never happened in the first place and should be removed from your credit file.

I am not aware of any states that withdraw liens.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 10 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.