Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Re: Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

@OhioCPA wrote:

@Chbraswell wrote:

State and it is Ohio 

Ohio tax liens are judgment liens and are filed with the clerk of courts. While the procedure you have mentioned will have the lien recorded as released, it won't necessarily remove it from your credit file. A released tax lien can stay on your credit file for seven years from the date it is recorded as released.

The IRS's new procedure is to have the lien withdrawn. This is separate from having it released. By having it withdrawn it is treated as if it never happened in the first place and should be removed from your credit file.

I am not aware of any states that withdraw liens.

I have an Ohio tax lien that I've been banging my head against for nearly a year now.  Paid it in Mar 2007, but did not realize it had to be recorded at the courthouse until Nov 2007. Despite it being "cancelled" (according to the release) in March, it still shows as November on the CRAs.  VERY frustrating, adding a random 8 months reporting.  I've written a boatload of letter to various agencies, representatives, etc not understanding why I'm "sentenced to a 7 year debtor's prison term" for something I paid in full as soon as I found out about it (it was estranged husband's filing, I thought he paid it).  I don't understand why the IRS can withdraw, but the states can't.  Seems like it would be in their best interest to not have that anchor dragging down credit scores when the citizen paid the debt.  The goal is to collect the taxes, not inflict punitive damages, right?

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 11 of 98
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Is it possible to file a motion to withdraw a state tax lien? On what basis would that work?
Message 12 of 98
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Well then my friend I just wasted money for something I should have left alone. lol

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 13 of 98
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will be using it tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Message 14 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

I did get a letter from the tax agency after they reviewed my return and discovered I owed no tax at all. The courthouse refused to acknowledge the letter. Disputing it at the CRB's did no good at all. I have sent the state letters to the CRB and the courthouse and nearly 8 months later they will not remove it. Nor will they show it as paid.

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 98
iwant700fico
Frequent Contributor

you need to ask the Tax agency to give you  "withdrawl lien' papers. If its their mistake they will do this. Hope this helps.

EQ 786 2/2018
TU 792 8/2018
EX 776 2/2018 Chase CSR $28.5k
Barclay Advantage $17.5 k
Amex BCE $29k
CITI Advantage $24.2k
Amex HILTON $13k
Total Rewards visa $20K
Chase INK $11k
Chase Sapphire Reserve $28.5k
BOA 8k
Discover IT 8K
Message 16 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

I have the withdrawal letter...its completely ignored by Equifax

Message 17 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

How do I take action against Equifax?

Message 18 of 98
iwant700fico
Frequent Contributor

1. Send it certified witha copy to their legal department.  File a small claims lawsuit if they refuse.

2. Go to your county clerks's office and give them a copy, they are  also obligated to remove it.

EQ 786 2/2018
TU 792 8/2018
EX 776 2/2018 Chase CSR $28.5k
Barclay Advantage $17.5 k
Amex BCE $29k
CITI Advantage $24.2k
Amex HILTON $13k
Total Rewards visa $20K
Chase INK $11k
Chase Sapphire Reserve $28.5k
BOA 8k
Discover IT 8K
Message 19 of 98
jojo-69

I just dropped in here on a google search and noticed on the IRS website it has slightly different instructions for form 12277. Specifically, it  says to check box 11, not box 12.  Here is a link to the instructions:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Fresh-Start-Notice-of-Federal-Tax-Lie...

Message 20 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.