Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

tag
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Re: Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

@jojo-69 wrote:

I just dropped in here on a google search and noticed on the IRS website it has slightly different instructions for form 12277. Specifically, it  says to check box 11, not box 12.  Here is a link to the instructions:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Fresh-Start-Notice-of-Federal-Tax-Lie...

The instructions I shared here were given to me directly from the IRS. Here is what I said:

1) fill out IRS form 12277. In box 11 select the last option "best interest of taxpayer and government". In box 12, type "Fresh Start Program" (search irs.gov for form 12277)

So, yes, check box 11. In box 12, you can write "Fresh Start Program"

That is what the IRS told me. My application was approved. The lien has been deleted from my credit file.

Message 21 of 98
jojo-69

ficojoe,

You're right. My brain read that completely different yesterday.

And thank you for the info. I paid off my tax lien in August and that's the only thing keeping me from getting a home loan.

Message 22 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

Its been a long time since I put my post here. I have tried for a long time to have these liens released. I am getting really frustrated. Experian and Trans union both removed the IRS lien after they got the IRS withdrawal form. The "withdrawal" form is different from the "satisfied" form. I simply submitted my tax documentation proving I never owed the tax at all. Then I had to request the withdrawal on the 12227 form. So I had both the satisfied and the withdrawal to forward to the CBR's. Equifax completely ignored my letters. When I talked to them on the phone they gave me a fax  number and a confirmation number. They instructed me to fax the letter of withdrawal along with my confirmation number. Then later they "verify" it on the report as a satisfied lien. I have actually had someone tell me that they recieved the the withdrawal document but it didnt match the correct confirmation number.

Equifax is also closely tied to the FICO score. Equifax has ignored all of my disputes they have even added a 3rd lien that never existed! I take it thats my punishment for even disputing the bogus claims on the report.

I see from the other postings the state leins are never removed. Thats really disappointing since I never owed the money. They have state lien as "satisfied" on all three reports except for Equifax showing it satisfied in one entry and then they added another that never existed.

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 98
electra
Established Contributor

Wow, that really stinks. I've heard of other folks having a hard time with EQ removing withdrawn liens.  Did you send them a certified copy from the Recorders office or did the IRS send them a copy?  

You could try filing a complaint with the CFPB.

Good luck!  I know what it's like!  I have 3 IRS liens I've requested to have withdrawn. Still waiting for my answer from the IRS.  

Message 24 of 98
visualmayhem

very helpful, thanks.

Starting Score: 536Current Score: 552Goal Score: 720
Message 25 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

I clicked on that link and I think I want to use it to get some help. I would like to know more about it. What exactly is it and where does the information go? I just disputed the information again on the eq report.  Thanks for your help

Message 26 of 98
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you keep disputing the same TL for the same reason the CRAs will say it is frivolous and take no action.

Message 27 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

I guess that explains the "no action" I've gotten so far. What else can I do if the information is not correct?

If the tax liens are withdrawn. They have been faxed a copy of the withdrawal and they refuse to remove it...so now what? I have talked to several people at Equifax who keep repeating the same inaccurate information. Withdrawn tax liens are not supposed to stay on credit reports for 7 years. Why should consumers suffer because if their ignorance?

Message 28 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

@electra wrote:

Wow, that really stinks. I've heard of other folks having a hard time with EQ removing withdrawn liens.  Did you send them a certified copy from the Recorders office or did the IRS send them a copy?  

You could try filing a complaint with the CFPB.

Good luck!  I know what it's like!  I have 3 IRS liens I've requested to have withdrawn. Still waiting for my answer from the IRS.  

Electra I clicked on that link and I would like to try it out. Could you give me a little more information on it? Where does the sensitive data go and what happens with the information? Equifax is the real culprit here the other agencies removed them with out a problem.  Thanks for your help.

Message 29 of 98
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

I am also going thru this process.  Mine were paid back in 2010 and thanks to these forums learned of the irs new start program.  I have filled out my forms and sending them in this week to get the process started.  I can't wait to get these off as my score should significantly jump!

Good luck with getting that last one off.from EQ....

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 30 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.