guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Removing satisfied tax liens from credit reports

Message 61 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Within the FICO scoring there are buckets that those with similar profiles are placed.  When something changes or removed you are placed in a new bucket. 

Not all buckets are bad.  If you no longer have a PR/major derogatory you will be moved from a "dirty bucket" to a clean bucket.

Read this thread as it will explain it much better than I can  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Re-bucketing/td-p/1434216

I read the thread..its interesting but I dont fall into any of those categories. I have a credit history spanning back more than 20 years. No bankrupcies, foreclosures, collections or charge offs. I did have an address in one of the traditionally "redlined" nieghborhoods.

Thanks for your help. I would like to know an effective way to fight back. I am weary of the shake downs from predators. They swarm even if you dont do business with them. They know that historically no one listens and our rights are published but never enforced.

It shouldnt take 2 years to remove a withdrawn tax lien. Every dispute with Equifax becomes a debacle....They have a certified affidavit but its zig-zag action without any clear resolution. I am bracing myself for the multiple liens to come as a result of the latest dispute. I know mistakes happen but this seems to be a steady pattern.

I suppose..I m one of the dirty ones in a dirty bucket. Nothing to do with my payment history at all.

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 62 of 98
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If it is a federal tax lien they are easier to get removed than a state tax lien.

Have the withdrawls been recorded?  I do know the CRAs say they have to see that they have been recorded first.

Message 63 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

The federal Tax lien was withdrawn last year by all except for Equifax. You are right, the Federal lien is much easier to remove. Even if you really owe the Feds they with withdraw the lien once it's paid in full. In my case, I did not owe and requested the withdrawal via the special form. Equifax finally removed it in April of this year. It was recorded long before Equifax finally removed it.

The State Tax lien was a different story altogether. It was tough to get past the "release" ; they sent me on a treasure hunt back and forth between the agency and the courthouse. I had to get others involved in different departments to help me. They finally agreed to write an affidavit declaring a "withdrawal" of the state tax lien.

It was supposed to be sent to the courthouse on the 1st of Nov. However, I dont expect Equifax to remove the lien just because its recorded they never do.

Message 64 of 98
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

@newmomnewme wrote:

@Anonymous was a great thread...I wonder if I will be rebucketed after the judgement is removed. It was the last of my 3 PR. With it gone, I will still have 2 CO, 6 paid collections, and a few late payments from 2011 or earlier....Nothing in the last 12 months though!  @guinness56, that is why I was so concerned about those collection accounts changing reporting dates.

No, you more than likely would not be rebucketed.  At least not out of a dirty bucket.  COs, collections, paid or unpaid, and 90+ day lates are all considered major derogatories.

Not sure Guin; there's many different clean buckets and one has to assume there are plenty of dirty buckets too.  Someone with a public record and a chargeoff is likely categorized differently than someone with just a charge off. It may even break further down between tax lien and judgement for that matter or numbers of various given records, it's simply hard to say anecdotally; however, for a sizable drop, and no change in utilization or additional derogatory being recorded, and the only (which admittedly we'd have to look at before and after snapshots of the credit report to be certain) change was a removal of a tax lien, rebucketing is a possible explanation.

        
Message 65 of 98
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@newmomnewme wrote:

@Anonymous was a great thread...I wonder if I will be rebucketed after the judgement is removed. It was the last of my 3 PR. With it gone, I will still have 2 CO, 6 paid collections, and a few late payments from 2011 or earlier....Nothing in the last 12 months though!  @guinness56, that is why I was so concerned about those collection accounts changing reporting dates.

No, you more than likely would not be rebucketed.  At least not out of a dirty bucket.  COs, collections, paid or unpaid, and 90+ day lates are all considered major derogatories.

Not sure Guin; there's many different clean buckets and one has to assume there are plenty of dirty buckets too.  Someone with a public record and a chargeoff is likely categorized differently than someone with just a charge off. It may even break further down between tax lien and judgement for that matter or numbers of various given records, it's simply hard to say anecdotally; however, for a sizable drop, and no change in utilization or additional derogatory being recorded, and the only (which admittedly we'd have to look at before and after snapshots of the credit report to be certain) change was a removal of a tax lien, rebucketing is a possible explanation.

Understood.  I did say if OP was rebucketed it would not be into a clean bucket given the other major derogatories on the CR. 

I have seen one poster that was rebucketed when they were down to only one major derogatory left on the CR.

Message 66 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

So.....

Now, the last tax lien was finally deleted. Even Equifax took it off!  Smiley Happy

two years of fighting tax liens and they are finally deleted.

Well.....now the score dropped after removing  liens in April. 

I am waiting to see what happens now since the very last lien was taken off today. This time the score didnt move at all in any direction.

How long does it take to effect with FICO? Should that be immediate or should I wait a few days before I refresh?

Message 67 of 98
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you have SW it takes 7 - 10 days for a score change or alert I believe.

Message 68 of 98
stillirise
New Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

If you have SW it takes 7 - 10 days for a score change or alert I believe.

Is SW Score Watch? Im sorry I dont know all of the acronyms. I am so excited I wanted to pay for a new refresh right away but I was afraid it hasnt been long enough to show.

Message 69 of 98
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yep, SW is ScoreWatch.

I don't think you get alerts for account removals just score changes.  I could be wrong because I don't use it.

Also, I would get the report directly from the CRA just to make 100% sure it is gone.

Message 70 of 98
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.