Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing two last baddies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing two last baddies

Good day guys!

Been a long time lurker, and have been in the credit rebuilding process for two years now. Got my credit score from a 580 to almost a 700. ( hovering right around 695ish ). So I have a couple questions to better my scores further, as I attend on purchasing a home in two years.

I got my first few credit cards ( Bank Of America Student and Credit One.. [I know..] ) when I was 18. I was super responsible with it, and would pay it off in full every month. Decided then to buy a nice PC, and have it paid off the next month. Well, turns out I lost my job, and had a hard time finding a new job for a few months which caused my accounts to close/default.

- Fast forward about 10 years ( because I pretty much did not pay attention to my credit until 2014 which I know was a big mistake, but trying to fix it now ).-

So after paying off many collection agencies, having many things removed from my account. I have two stubborn baddies which are paid off, but unable to get off my credit report.

-PORTFOLIO RECOVERY

-CREDIT ONE BANK

These are haunting my credit report, and while they are old, I can't get them off. They are my only negative accounts on file left. Both which are setteled. I did try disputing them several times, and only come back as "TransUnion or whatever has included new information on your TransUnion credit report.". Further more, looking at my Experian membership, they mark the month reported as "late payment" every time I make a dispute. Terrified this is hurting my credit and dying to get them off. Not sure if this is a Experian Website tracker thing only or what.

Other then that, I've had nine collection accounts deleted successfully off my reports. I have two current car loans that I plan on refinancing next summer, so if I could get my credit upwards of 700 that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing two last baddies

Have you tried a GW campaign to remove those last 2 baddies yet?  If you have not yet tried the Saturation Technique, I'd strongly suggest giving it a shot:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

Message 2 of 15
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

When are they expected to age off? Disputing CO's with the hopes they will be removed oftentimes results in poking the bear.  The TL's can be updated and the scoring models may view this as new collection activity resulting in a possible decrease to your score.  Time may be your best "approach".

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When are they due to age off your reports? 

With scores in the 690s I'd be content to just ride it out and wait, if it's not too long. 

Goodwill letters are worth a shot, but those are pretty tenacious reporters right there ... 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I find out when they are expected to fall off my account? Credit Karma or Experian doesn't really show that detail.

---

Have you tried a GW campaign to remove those last 2 baddies yet?  If you have not yet tried the Saturation Technique, I'd strongly suggest giving it a shot:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/The-Saturation-Technique-Best-GW-adjustment-o...

---

Already ttried this, and no positive response. =/

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How would I find out when they are expected to fall off my account? Credit Karma or Experian doesn't really show that detail.

OK ... couple of things here. 

The credit scores you're citing in your OP, where do those scores come from? If they're from Credit Karma they MAY not accurately reflect your scores. They're known as FAKO scores here. To get true FICO scores you need to either sign up/pay here at myFICO, or at Credit Check Total. You can get a 1-week trial membership at CCT for $1 and it will give you all three of your scores once. You can re-up with them if you want, but call to cancel first and they'll offer you half off the monthly rate. 

Also ... rather than relying on Credit Karma for details about your reports, you're allowed ONE free report each year, by law, from each of the three credit bureaus. I would recommend pulling at least one of them (or all three if you want, but I usually space them out over the course of 12 months). On those actual reports, they'll either list of a Date of First Delinquency (DoFD) or an estimated removal date. 

Derogatories stay on your reports seven years ... so take the DoFD, add seven years plus one month to it and you have your estimated removal date. 

On Transunion (I just checked on my wife's report), they offer an, "Estimated Month and Year This Item Will Be Removed). 

Credit Karma is great, for monitoring day to day changes on your reports ... but the scores aren't correct. My CK scores are 10-20 points higher than my actual scores. 

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right, I should have mentioned that my credit cards ( some ) have credit monitor like Capital one, and through out most of my cards they all sit around 695-ish. I only use Credit Karma to make sure nothing unusual is reported to my accounts. Experian is my monthly service to check scrores, but barely updates and thinking of switching to something else.

If I am going by the DoFD method, I still have about two years till they both completely fall off my account which is kind of a bummer. Wanted them removed much sooner. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I did some digging up on my 2016 reports I pulled earlier this summer and I actually see what you mean.

Estimated month and year that this item will be removed:

Portfolio Recovery: 10/2018

Credit One Bank: 12/2016

So, Credit One looks like it may finally fall next month which is awesome. But then I'd be left with just one on my account which is Portfolio Recovery. I've spend a great amount of time speaking with them on the phone, and emailing back and forth and they will not budge on removing/deleting off my report. Is there anything else I can do?

Message 8 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

DOFD only applies to the exclusion of a reported charge-off or collection.

They must be excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD.  The estimate exclusion date for a collection that is provided by a CRA usually is based on exclusion at 7 years from the reported DOFD, and thus includes a standard 6 month early exclusion.

Exclusion of monthly delinquencies is not based on DOFD.  Each monthly delinquency has an exclusion date of no later than 7 years from the mo/yr of its actual occurence.

What are the derogs that have been reported under the Credit One Bank account?  Each has its own statutory exclusion date depending upon the type of derog.

It is noted that the two accounts are stated to have been paid, so any updates are no longer extending any impact of account delinquencies on scoring, and should have NO additional delinquencies after the date paid.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So if I am understanding this correctly, these will not be removed based on when they were originally reported, but rather when they last reported/updated?

For example:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Chrispy0530/Random/PortDelete.jpg

Portfolio Recovers dinged me with 2 late payments for some reason ( even though it was settled earlier this year in Jan ) when I filed the dispute. Does this mean it's 7 years from Oct of 2016??

Same deal with Credit One Bank back in 2015 when I disputed:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Chrispy0530/Random/CreditDelete.jpg

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.