Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent/Landlord on Credit Report??

tag
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

Rent/Landlord on Credit Report??

I was looking at mine and my husband's credit reports from all three bureaus here on myFICO....we recently moved starting in April...12 month lease. Rent is $840/mo.

My husband's report shows the landlord as a creditor reporting to Experian only under "Installment Loans" for $840/mo.  ??? 

I have never seen rent reported before. We are now in Kentucky, do they do it differently here? What is the deal? What else is odd is that we are both on the lease and they supposedly ran our credit but it only shows up as an inquiry on his report and not on mine.

my husband has the worse credit right now and has no debt payments - zero installment accounts and one revolving credit card with a low balance. Why is rent on his report? I guess this is a good thing bc at least it adds another positive history on his account?

I am so confused!!

Starting Score: January 2014 Experian: 713 Equifax: 668 Transunion: 691
December 2015 Score: Experian: 766 Equifax: 751 Transunion: 759
October 2018 Score: Transunion:735

Goal Score: 800’s across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rent/Landlord on Credit Report??

I would view it as a potential positive. There has been a push lately to include things like utilities and rent in credit reports, ostensibly to help those with no credit more easily establish a payment history.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would view it as a potential positive. There has been a push lately to include things like utilities and rent in credit reports, ostensibly to help those with no credit more easily establish a payment history.

It is possible that the new Fico 9 scoring is reflecting on your husband's CR. Fico 9 takes into consideration rental history.

Message 3 of 5
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

Okay, I do think it appears to be a good thing - the guy has always paid his rent on time and that would certainly be a relevant factor in your likelihood to pay your mortgage on time....and he does need more positives on his report. 

I always thought it was wrong that things like your phone and cable bills and rent never showed up on peoples' accounts unless they were delinquent. If it's relevant to your creditworthiness that you DIDNT pay, it is certainly relevant that you did...

Starting Score: January 2014 Experian: 713 Equifax: 668 Transunion: 691
December 2015 Score: Experian: 766 Equifax: 751 Transunion: 759
October 2018 Score: Transunion:735

Goal Score: 800’s across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

From what I can see this is an Experian push to record rental data:  http://www.experian.com/rentbureau/rental-reporting.html

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.