Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopen Capitol One card?

tag
kitty9779
Regular Contributor

Reopen Capitol One card?

I had a Capitol One secured card for about two years that I paid faithfully every month. Last spring, I considered filing bankruptcy and stopped paying at the advice of ,y attorney. Islater decided that I wanted to manage my debt on my own but by then, the account was closed.  They show that I'm in good standing after a 30, 60 and 90 late because they used my deposit to pay off my account. Do you think it would be worthwhile now to ask them to reopen that sameaccount? I'm trying to rebuild my credit and am paying off all outstandinloaf counts in the next couple of months - Witt the exception of my car loan and student loans which are all in good standing.

Please excuse typos - my iPad won't let me rewind. :-)

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Reopen Capitol One card?

If you dont currently have revolving accounts, or have only one, then you need revolving for long term rebuilding, as FICO places heavy emphasis on showing use of discretionary credit.

Reopening a prior revolving line of credit as opposed to an entirely new line will be favorable in your average age of accounts scoring, as well as not having a new line of credit under one year, so yes, it would be favorable for that isolated reason.

Is the account still reporting in your CR?  If they deleted, and thus the derogs were also deleted, then resurrection might include the re-reporting of those derogs.

Having reached 90-late is not something I would want re-inserted.

Message 2 of 8
kitty9779
Regular Contributor

My other accounts that are in good standing are two car loans (co-signer on one due to my income) and student loans. I plan to pay off most of my negatives within the next 45 days or so, and I'm kind of feeling like I wish I had kept this Capital One account open, since I have no other revolving credit. Given that I've had so many negatives, I'm not sure that the 90 day would be so bad. I wonder if I were able to reopen the Cap 1 account and reestablish payment history with them, maybe in a few months I could send a GW letter?

As far as reopening this account - is that even something that is possible? How would I go about doing that?

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 8
kitty9779
Regular Contributor

Just at their normal toll free number?

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, and maybe ask for the credit department.  Not sure a normal CSR could help.

Message 6 of 8
kitty9779
Regular Contributor

Great! Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 8
kitty9779
Regular Contributor

Bummer....I got the big no from Capitol One. Is it beneficial to try again or would they flag me for nagging?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.