Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing OLD negative credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repairing OLD negative credit history

I am in the process of trying to repair my credit. I know I have very old history on there (older than 7 years). I can pay it off but my question is... Is it more damaging to pay it off or should I just try calling the company up and get it removed? I also have a repossession on my credit as well. I ended up getting my car back and paying the amount owed. How soon will that come off my credit? I have alot of little charges on my account from when I was younger. As an adult, I want it all off and my credit score up. What would be some helpful tips?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Repairing OLD negative credit history

Pull your actual credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and list the accounts including the DoFD (or estimated removal date) and status (charge off, repo, etc) Don't worry about Date of Last Activity, it's not important for credit reporting purposes. Depending upon your reports you might be in better shape than you think.
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 605(a) lists all types of adverse items, and their associated credit report exclusion dates.

Section 605(a) is structured by listing four specific types of adverse items in subsections (1-4), with their specific periods and begin dates.

If an item is not listed in one of the specific subsections (1-4), it falls in the catch-all subcategory 605(a)(5), which mandates that ay other adverse item of information has an exclusion date of no later than 7 years from the date of occurence of the adverse item.

You dont contact the creditor to have the adverse item(s) excluded.  The CRAs are responsible for monitoring the date of occurence of each adverse item, and excluding it from any credit report they issue after expiration of its exclusion period.

In the posted scenario, it is stated that you have a negative item that is over 7 years of age.  Unless it is specifically one of the items listed in subsections 605(a)(1-4), it should haven been excluded no later than 7 years after its occurence.  What is the adverse item that is still showing?

As for the repo, if a repo results in a charge to profit and loss by the creditor, then it has an exclusion date based on FCRA 605(a)(4), which is clarified by FCRA 605(c) to be no later than 7 years plus 180 days form the date of first deliquency on the account.  However, in your case, since you retained the vehicle, they apparetly suffered no charge to profit and loss, which would result in the exclusion of the reported repo based on subsection 605(a)(5), which would be no later than 7 years from the date of the repo.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question, so if a vehicle is retained and they still put charge off/profit of loss, could you validly fight the report on your report?

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends.

Repo'd vehicles that are reclaimed are usually done so very early, via state laws that require the consumer be provided with the initial opportunity to pay and retain the property.

However, if the vehicle was reclaimed at a later time, after the creditor took a charge to profit and loss or similar action, then the reporting could be accurate.

It would depend upon whether the creditor actually took a legitimate accounting measure that was considered the equivalant to a charge to profit and loss.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.