Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing credit while paycheck to paycheck

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repairing credit while paycheck to paycheck

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to begin repairing your credit while still struggling and living paycheck to paycheck? We really are living on basics (no cable, no internet, no fancy car, no dinners or nights out ect.) Im desperate to turn my credit back around but have so many things in collections i dont even know where to begin. I have number (20ish?) accounts in collections ranging from $37 to several thousand a piece. Im lost and the thought of even trying to get back to the 700 score i had before seems...impossible and mind boggling

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
RBFool
Contributor

Re: Repairing credit while paycheck to paycheck

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to begin repairing your credit while still struggling and living paycheck to paycheck? We really are living on basics (no cable, no internet, no fancy car, no dinners or nights out ect.) Im desperate to turn my credit back around but have so many things in collections i dont even know where to begin. I have number (20ish?) accounts in collections ranging from $37 to several thousand a piece. Im lost and the thought of even trying to get back to the 700 score i had before seems...impossible and mind boggling

This should be in the rebuild section so you get better answers...

My suggestion? Pull your credit reports (annualcreditreport.com) and see what's there. Learn/reserach how to GW the accounts and they'll probably start falling off. The issue you'll face is that the most basic step is to get a secured credit card. That takes money. If you can't make ends meat or barely maybe getting new credit would be a distant goal AFTER reparing it.

Have you thought about bankruptcy? Is it that bad? Do a lot of reserach about all your options on the forum and other sources.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have coppies of 2 of my 3 credit reports as well as credit monitoring through IDprotect because my tax return was compormised. Im not good with the abreviations. What do you mean when you say GW the accounts.

Yes a secured card is on my list come tax return time. Originally my plan was to put all of my tax return towards paying off debts but as is life things have come up and the majority of that money is already spoken for. I found a card through the navy federal credit union thats secured and requires a $500 deposit but has no annual or montly fee like the rest ive looked at. Luckily i can get membership with them so i think that will be my best bet there.

Ive thought about bankruptcy often but if i can start tackeling this somehow i think i will be able to pay it off faster then it would take me to recover from bankruptcy. Luckily my parents paid off my student loan so while i owe them the money now id say credit report wise im looking at about $20,000 in total debts.

My husband on the other hand has significant debt over $50,000. Every debt he has is a medical bill. How would it affect us together if he were to file for bankruptcy? Its all so very confusing and it seems (almost) everyone out there wants money to point you in the right direction Smiley Sad

**reposting original question in the rebuild section, thank you!

Message 3 of 24
RBFool
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have coppies of 2 of my 3 credit reports as well as credit monitoring through IDprotect because my tax return was compormised. Im not good with the abreviations. What do you mean when you say GW the accounts.

Yes a secured card is on my list come tax return time. Originally my plan was to put all of my tax return towards paying off debts but as is life things have come up and the majority of that money is already spoken for. I found a card through the navy federal credit union thats secured and requires a $500 deposit but has no annual or montly fee like the rest ive looked at. Luckily i can get membership with them so i think that will be my best bet there.

Ive thought about bankruptcy often but if i can start tackeling this somehow i think i will be able to pay it off faster then it would take me to recover from bankruptcy. Luckily my parents paid off my student loan so while i owe them the money now id say credit report wise im looking at about $20,000 in total debts.

My husband on the other hand has significant debt over $50,000. Every debt he has is a medical bill. How would it affect us together if he were to file for bankruptcy? Its all so very confusing and it seems (almost) everyone out there wants money to point you in the right direction Smiley Sad

**reposting original question in the rebuild section, thank you!

It's been moved for you Smiley Wink The mods are pretty good about this stuff. I suggest living in the rebuild forum. Read as much as you can and absorb before you do anyhthing. Specifically go here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/224981 for starters you'll learn common abbervations and what they mean and how to go about it. A GW is a Good Will. If your debt is years old you can send them letters to remove it or reduce it or work out a plan for you.

The basics:

1. You get your 3 credit reports (not 2... all 3) the reason being is that something may be on 1 that are not on the others. You make sure it's accurate if not then dispute it. Make sure everything is current and accurate.

2. GW the debt to get it removed or reduced.

3. Apply for a secured card/store card (using the shopping card trick) to establish current credit. - Watch utilization and payments 

4. contune GWing the items on your report until they're handled.

You may want to reserach lawyers about Bankruptcy to talk with... But they're paid to get you to go that route. Either way lawyers cost money to do Chap 7 or 13 (7 is up front 13 is paid during payments) so either way you need money to move forward. The "Do it yourself" steps above is less money but more time.... But money is still needed depending on your profile.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Sounds like you are on the right track but credit repair is a long process. First thing to do is determine the SOL of your state for debt. Look at the top of the rebuild page for "Commonly Used Threads", read all the info there and you will learn a wealth of information. BK is a huge step but many are so glad for the fresh start. There is an area for that on these forumns also. Once you determine the SOL for your state post up what's on your reports; minus any personnal info of course, and people can start giving you good suggestions for specific issues.

For your husband's medical debts you might want to Google "HIPAA" or check creditboards for the info. Take it all slow and research all available info before jumping into anything. There is a wealth of knowledge here and the good thing is it is all free.

Message 5 of 24
xosamandaxo
Regular Contributor

you said your husbands debt is all medical debt? google "whychat hipaa medical debt method" and see how many deletions you can get without having to pay.

when is your negative debt due to fall off?

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, he has 22 collections on his credit report. every single one is a medical debt. I will definitely look up the "whychat hipaa medical debt method".

Most of the items in question on my credit report are from 2010 and 2011. I believe their are newer debts which are actually duplicates of the old debts that have been sold to new credit collectors.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, he has 22 collections on his credit report. every single one is a medical debt. I will definitely look up the "whychat hipaa medical debt method".

Most of the items in question on my credit report are from 2010 and 2011. I believe their are newer debts which are actually duplicates of the old debts that have been sold to new credit collectors.

You really want to check on the SOL for the state you live in before starting anything. if you have debts that aren't past the SOL then the creditors can sue you for the debts. Once the SOL is up then they can still report but the liklihood of a suit/judgement diminishes. They can report the full 7.5 years to the CRA's. once you begin cleaning your reports it may cause "collection triggers" to start. if you don't have the immediate ability to pay those debts in full they could file suit.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

3. Apply for a secured card/store card (using the shopping card trick) to establish current credit. - Watch utilization and payments 

^^My husband tried to get a Babies R Us store card and was denied. I havent tried because im afraid theyll deny me too. We could really use it to get car seats at the moment. Are they harder to get then other store cards or is our credit even worse then it looks?

Message 9 of 24
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

^^My husband tried to get a Babies R Us store card and was denied. I havent tried because im afraid theyll deny me too. We could really use it to get car seats at the moment. Are they harder to get then other store cards or is our credit even worse then it looks?

As stated, trying the shopping cart trick will save you a hard inquiry. Search shopping cart trick on these forums and you'll learn how to obtain a card that way if you qualify. It was simple but it took a while for me to finally get a pop up!

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.