ChrisRT

Repay collections without a negative impact?

I have been reading as much as possible but want the experts to give me some input. I have a somewhat limited positive credit history. I have found out a while ago that there are 2 negative accounts listed on collections. I don't know what one of them is from but I can guess the other.

First and foremost I want to keep the upwards momentum of my FICO but I'd like to clear the 2 negative marks that where listed in early 2010.

What can one do? I already have the collectors contact information. Would calling them and inquiring about the accounts cause them to re-report them and impact my credit score?

Thanks in advance.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Repay collections without a negative impact?

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

I'm no expert (experts are the ones in the middle of repair; they are in the hunt), but throwing out my 2 cents, the official word is that paying a collection, and likewise, calling them won't result in a score change if these are CAs. Now I've seen examples of payments resulting in a drop. I've also seen where payments resulted in no change. And a few swear that a payment caused an increase, though I can say with certainly that wasn't the case.

If you have 2 CAs reporting, then mail each a DV letter. If they verify in writing and you agree, then send a PFD. If they agree in writing, then pay it and they'll delete. A paid CA is equally bad as an unpaid one. You'd want it off.

ChrisRT

Re: Repay collections without a negative impact?

Hey, thanks for the welcome and thankyou for the information. I'll have to check it out.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+