Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repaying credit card debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repaying credit card debt

I have 3 accounts that were in default without the ability to pay them.  Now I have settled one of the accounts becasue they approached me.  I don't know whether to approach the other 2 and try to settle or leave them alone.  The 2 accounts show to be closed and written off but I know they can still try to collect.  Should I try and settle before I am contacted?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dursty87
Established Contributor

Re: Repaying credit card debt

What state do you live in and when was the DOFD? The SOL will govern how long a creditor had to sue you and this differs based on where you live.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Texas and I'll take a guess at what DOFD and SOL are.  Date of final disposition?? 2013 some time between Mar and July.

Message 3 of 6
dursty87
Established Contributor

Sorry. The DOFD is the date of first delinquency. This would be the first of late payments that led to the charge off. Negative items can remain on your credit report up to 7.5 years from the DOFD. The SOL or statute of limitations is how long a creditor has to file suit and win. In Texas it is 4 years on CC debt. Are you still within the SOL?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm within the SOL.  Would it be better to try and settle the debts or wait it out with the chance of getting sued?  If it gets to the point where they sued, would they be as inclined to settle then?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if I wanted to sit down with someone, even pay them, that could answer all my questions, who or what type of person would that be?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.