Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repo Help

tag
hoppermech
New Contributor

Repo Help

We have been working on our credit for awhile now. This past May I was able to buy my wife a new Nissan so she could go to work. June the transmission went out in my truck and I had to buy a new one. instead of getting a new loan we paid out of pocket and things went downhill from there. The Car was reposessed this past Mon. today I paid everything that was owed including late fees to get it back and was told the account was reinstated. How will this affect my credit, and how do I Recover. Help is greatly appreciated

Starting Score: EQ 518 TU 589
Current Score: EQ 571 TU 614 EXP hard pull Jan 2012 629 Beacon 5.0
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Re: Repo Help

Well since its been repo'd that means there was obvious some derogatory marks already put on your report. I'm guess probably 3 missed payments before they started the repo (though I've heard some shadier places like JDByrider have initiated a repo after 1 missed payment).

Either way these derogs will be on your report no matter what. They may have been nice and just put you current from the time you paid it all back and will let you resume payments and as long as they are all on time all you have to worry about is the lates you already got.

However I believe they can put a comment or a status that will come up as a flag - I think its re-instated repo or something like that which will be an additioanl ding on your report.

If you brought it current, I'm sure if its a credit union or a friendlier bank they might have just kept the lats and that been it since in the end they got 100% of the money they spent repoing the car back plus all the other fees/interest.

Either way at this point it doesn't matter what happens to your report unless you can keep that auto loan current.

I'm assuming this is in reference to your wife's car and not the one you paid cash for? otherwise I'm not sure why they would repo a car you paid cash unless it was used as some other collateral.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 2 of 7
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Oh and as far as recovering - work on keeping your payments current - and once the entire loan is paid off start sending GW letters to try to get those lates removed and or any other derog info they might have given it along the way. Time heals all wounds, but compassion from others is like neosporin. Least they can do is say no, but come a couple years those lates won't sting as much as they do now.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You will have to see what they posted to your CR.   Maybe try a GW to them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
hoppermech
New Contributor

Thank you guys so far< good reponses so far

Starting Score: EQ 518 TU 589
Current Score: EQ 571 TU 614 EXP hard pull Jan 2012 629 Beacon 5.0

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

As with the reporing of any adverse information, it is based on the fact of whether it occured, not upon the subsequent payment status of the debt.

They can report the repo, which is akin to a charge-off.  Being that the debt has been satisfied, they have no collection purpose for reporting, but may view an obligation to do so, updating your actual credit history with them for review by others.

Has the creditor previously been reporting account activity to the CRAs?  If not, and they dont choose to now begin reporting, it will not be recorded in your CR.

Message 6 of 7
jadeite788
Established Contributor

@hoppermech wrote:

We have been working on our credit for awhile now. This past May I was able to buy my wife a new Nissan so she could go to work. June the transmission went out in my truck and I had to buy a new one. instead of getting a new loan we paid out of pocket and things went downhill from there. The Car was reposessed this past Mon. today I paid everything that was owed including late fees to get it back and was told the account was reinstated. How will this affect my credit, and how do I Recover. Help is greatly appreciated

Next time when you run into fixtures for anything try to negotiate down and check out different companies, and be stern about it.  It will save alot of money.  Unfortunately alot of the posters are right it does stay on your report for a while, because I had a similar situation with my hyundai except I did not get it repossessed.  but that was over 2  years ago.  Stay current and it will be a thing of the past.  If I can recover so can you.  I would say stay current for at least a year maybe a year 1/2.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.