Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repo Question

tag
homeinfuture
Contributor

Repo Question

I had a vol repo in Dec of 2010 from Summit Financial in Florida (I am in Florida as well) After they took the vehicle I never recieved anything from them at all and assumed that the vehicle sold for what I owed on it. Upon starting on the forums I realized that they had charged off the $9000 balance and have been updating monthly a past due balance which is now over $18,000. I sent a letter to summit telling them I never recived any documentation from them. I recived a response from them today with 2 papers showing the date of sale and the amount, they said that it was returned to them after they sent it to the address they had on file for me, which is false because I lived at that same address for another year after the repo. 

What should my next step be in this situation? As far as I know it is out of the SOL and is set to fall off my reports next year but I would like it gone now. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Re: Repo Question

They will have to show the returned mail was addressed to that most current address they had for you.  If it is addressed to you at that address and was returned by the Post Office for something like 'not claimed' (and the PO would show dates of attempts) then there isn't a lot that you can do about it.  The problem may be that the notification from the PO that you had a letter you need to sign for, could have been placed in someone else's box if you never saw it, but they would have had to do that 2 or 3 times.

As far as the creditor, if the above is accurate, then they've fullfilled their obligations to notify you.  If they in fact did NOT address and send it to the address on file, then you have a valid argument to make them eat their loss.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 2 of 4
superdad
Regular Contributor

Not much you can do to speed it up, only thing to do would be to write a letter offering to pay a lesser amount or let it age off. 

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.