Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repo question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repo question

Hi all. Just a quick question. I've been building my credit back up for the last 2 yrs or so. No issues to speak of, but two older collection accounts that I'm working on (total between the 2 is about 2k) and a repo from around August 2011. 

I was told that the repo, while it doesnt help, isn't crippling me because of how old it is, but I'm really looking forward to when it drops off, which by my math is some time next year. My question is, is there a way to get a concrete date/month of when it SHOULD be off so that if it doesnt drop I can be proactive with it? I have heard that it starts at the first '30 day late' ding, I've heard it starts when the actual repo occurs, and even heard somewhere that it starts the date after my last payment(which frankly doesnt sound accurate). Just want to know which 'date' to look for on my credit report so I can basically start the clock from that point forward. 

I know it's about a year out, just, as I said, wanting to plan accordingly. Unfortunately, my guess is it will fall off late if anything, and never, ever, early lol. 

Thanks all! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rs02
Established Member

Re: Repo question

They're supposed to fall off after 7 years.  Usually takes an extra month to be reflected on your credit report.  However, you want to make sure to monitor it because some people have found it still on their report 10 years later.  If you still do see it after 7years & 1 month. write a 609 letter to the bureaus for removal.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Repo question

It depends upon whether the repo resulted in a charge to profit and loss, in which case it becomes excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD, or whether the reported repo was redeemed before it also became a charge-off or its equivalent, in which case it becomes excluded no later than 7 years from the date of the repo itself.

Was the vehicle sold and was there a net loss to the creditor?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.