Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report Questions and Dispute Questions

tag
Jarnog
Frequent Contributor

Report Questions and Dispute Questions

I will preface this as saying I am very new to these boards and the whole credit repair process.  I am working at it and will continue to do so but I am a little confused at the reports and the disputing of items.  And sorry for the long post.

First the reports.  What date am I to look at to know when those negative items or any items, for that matter will be at the 7 year mark to be removed?  I know that Experian actually states "this account is scheduled to continue on record until XXX date".  But what about the Trans and Equifax? 

I also disputed a couple of items on my reports...I will use the information I see from Experian to give more detail.  One of my accounts was showing as a collection with all applicable information.  I disputed it and another with the same CA.  About 4 days after the dispute was initialized, one came back as updated.  I checked it and it states in the status section as "paid/closed" and there are comments(that I didn't add) that say, "account closed at consumers request" (which I didn't do).  One last thing is that the account history area says Acct in collection as of Dec 2013.  Ok, for those 3 areas on my report that I got free, before I initiated the disputes, the information is as follows:

Status - Collection account. $XXXX past due as of Feb 2010.

Comments - none

Account history - Collection as of Feb 2010

Does this mean that I don't need to worry about this account anymore?  Do I still need to try and get this line removed somehow?  And if so, how? I am a bit confused

I am confused because the other one I disputed from this same CA was updated about 2 weeks later as basically everything staying the same as what is showing on my report.  The only thing that is different in the second one vs my report is the status being collection xxx past due as of Dec 2013 (instead of Aug 2012) and a statement on it stating "account closed at consumers request" (which I didn't do), and Last reported area being 12/2013 instead of 8/2012. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and if more information is needed please ask and I will try and provide what I can.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Report Questions and Dispute Questions

@Jarnog wrote:

I will preface this as saying I am very new to these boards and the whole credit repair process.  I am working at it and will continue to do so but I am a little confused at the reports and the disputing of items.  And sorry for the long post.

First the reports.  What date am I to look at to know when those negative items or any items, for that matter will be at the 7 year mark to be removed?  I know that Experian actually states "this account is scheduled to continue on record until XXX date".  But what about the Trans and Equifax?   You need to look in the payment history for the first occurrence of a 30 day late that led upto the CO, this is the DOFD and negative info can report for 7.5 years from this date.

I also disputed a couple of items on my reports...I will use the information I see from Experian to give more detail.  One of my accounts was showing as a collection with all applicable information.  I disputed it and another with the same CA.  About 4 days after the dispute was initialized, one came back as updated.  I checked it and it states in the status section as "paid/closed" and there are comments(that I didn't add) that say, "account closed at consumers request" (which I didn't do).  One last thing is that the account history area says Acct in collection as of Dec 2013.  Ok, for those 3 areas on my report that I got free, before I initiated the disputes, the information is as follows:

Status - Collection account. $XXXX past due as of Feb 2010.

Comments - none

Account history - Collection as of Feb 2010

Does this mean that I don't need to worry about this account anymore?  Do I still need to try and get this line removed somehow?  And if so, how? I am a bit confused  First off don't poke the bear until you are sure that the original debt is outside your states SOL or you could end up with unintended results (i.e. a lawsuit)

I am confused because the other one I disputed from this same CA was updated about 2 weeks later as basically everything staying the same as what is showing on my report.  The only thing that is different in the second one vs my report is the status being collection xxx past due as of Dec 2013 (instead of Aug 2012) and a statement on it stating "account closed at consumers request" (which I didn't do), and Last reported area being 12/2013 instead of 8/2012. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and if more information is needed please ask and I will try and provide what I can.

As far as the consumers request comment I would not worry too much about it, that is not going to affect you. Also be advised that each time you dispute something and it comes back with current date as status date it will affect your score in a negative way as it looks to FICO like a new reporting. If you have any accounts that are outside the SOL you could do a PFD with them if you wish to pay them off.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You apparently filed separate disputes related to reporting by both the OC and the debt collector.

In any dispute, the specific item of information that is coonsidered inaccurate must be identified.

The furnisher than must investigate and either confirm the accuracy of their reporting, correct it, or if they do neither, it must be deleted until such time as they do verify or correct its accuracy.

If they verify or correct, the dispute is concluded.  That is the case regardless of whether you agree with their verification as accurate or their correction.

Even if they fail to verify or correct, only the disputed information is required to be deleted until they verify.  Inaccuracies in items such as whether or not you closed the account do not require deletion of other reporting if unverified.

The issue of whether or not they referred the debt for collection would not require investigation in response to a dispute unless you show some documentation that the debt was not referred for collection.  I am unsure of what basis you provided for asserting the debt was not placed for collection, and thus supporting a dispute of that fact.

Did your dispute include identification of the collection referral itself as an item under dispute, and if so, what basis did you provide for asserting an inaccuracy?

Message 3 of 4
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

The two items mentioned were the disputes.  They were both updated with the information I stated.  I am not sure what you are asking, I am not asking or questioning the dispute process, I understand that.  What I am confused about and questioning is the updated information.  Where they updated one with the Paid/Closed (on one) status when it was collection status before the dispute.  Where they also added the statement about "closed at consumers request" (on both).  If you see what my Exp report showed before the disputes and then after they were updated (per my original post), that information mentioned is what is confusing me.

Sorry for the diffferent login, I forgot I was on my wife's Fico account.  But I am the OP Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.