Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting closed accounts as open?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting closed accounts as open?

The Dept. of VA has completed garnishment of a "government overpayment" I received for educational benefits. Experian and TransUnion report as "Closed, Paid after collection"; Equifax reports as "Open, at least 120 days past due" but under comments "Paid collection government debt". Account was paid as of April 2011.

What should my next step be? I of course would prefer the account removed from my report. I thought I had once seen a letter example for false reporting. Would they remove it from all three bureaus or just the one that was wrong? I don't know if I should dispute as false for removal or send a good will letter for removal.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
lpayton
Regular Contributor

Re: Reporting closed accounts as open?

Send a goodwill, and list the inaccuracy as one of the reasons.  Try GW'ing first before you dispute. 

Good Luck.

PS, I had the same thing on my credit from a VA overpayment from my gi bill, i paid it and they removed it.

Message 2 of 15
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

If the account type is where you see the word Open  this is not related to the account being open or closed.  Usually Open accounts are single payment accounts or what is called a 30 day account. An example of this is an AMEX charge card where the balance is due in full each month.  Another example of an open account type is a collection account. Usually the collection agency wants the money in a single payment some will  work with you on a payment schedule.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 15
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

I have both of my old PAID midland accounts showing as open on my EX (EDIT: Not EQ) Both each having 29 - 120+day lates.....

I am not sure what to do with that..........

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 4 of 15
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

@Anonymous_V wrote:

I have both of my old PAID midland accounts showing as open on my EX (EDIT: Not EQ) Both each having 29 - 120+day lates.....

I am not sure what to do with that..........

I have the same issue with Asset Acceptance showing open and a bunch of 120 day lates Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 5 of 15
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Are they allowed to do this????

I mean this is killing my score BAD - 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 6 of 15
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Are the lates dates being reported after you paid the account ? IE you paid it August of 2010 and the lates are reporting in 2011.  If so you can dispute those lates.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 15
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

yes andy, i dont know how but my collection shows 24 - 120+ day lates.... though the account was paid over a year ago.... and they didnt start reporting it since january of last year.... 

Message 8 of 15
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Okay so an upate - I pulled my report again, and they removed a few.... STILL though ....

midland.png

Message 9 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure who reports it that way: the CA or the CRA. In any case, FICO still sees it as a CA. If they added lates every month from day 1, I don't think you'd see a score change. Try GWs. Some had success with MCM.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.