Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting error by Equifax - need help on approach

tag
ravaage
Established Member

Reporting error by Equifax - need help on approach

So as I was combing thought my CR a little closer, i realized Equifax was reporting incorrect dates on two of my collections. The dates are currently 2 years after charge off!!! Has anyone else experienced this? Should i dispute with Equifax or the two collection agencies (PRA and LVNV)? 

Anyway i can leverage the mistake to have it removed completely?? 

Thanks in advance for the help! 

Current FICOs: (10-27-14) EQ- 655 / EX- 659 / TU- 653

Chase Sapphire Preferred $5,000 / CapitalOne Quicksilver $3,000 / Barclaycard Rewards $2,500 / Barclaycard Apple $1,200 / CapitalOne Platinum $750 / Macy's $600 / Chase Freedom $500

In the garden as of 11/04/2014
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Reporting error by Equifax - need help on approach

what is the date of last activity (DOLA) reported by the collection agencies?

It is not unusual for the date of report to be two years or more after the charge off. You can call eq and ask what is the date of default listed by the credit agency.

IF IT IS CORRECT, DO NOT DISPUTE. They will see you are just trying to get an easy delete. I had to live with baddies for 7 years. This can be the same for you. You are better off doing PFD's, or get some credit cards, and rebuild while waiting for them to delete.

The report date is not the same as the charge off date.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA's usually report a bunch of different dates in relation to a debt, but the ONLY one the matters for anything is DoFD - Date of First Delinquency. All the others are just there to confuse you (IMO). Is the DoFD correct or not?

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In amy dispute over accuracy of reporting, the furnisher always has the option of correcting the reporting so as to overcome any inaccuracy.

It is not a violation per se of the FCRA to have reported inaccurate information.  No  statute can mandate human accuracy.

It is a violation to report with knowldege of inaccuracy of the information.  FCRA 623(a)(1).

Deletion of reported information is only required if the info cannot be corrected so as to overcome the inaccuracy.

As for the specific inaccuracy, while it is unclear as to what specific dates are alleged to be inaccurate, be aware that the actual date of a charge-off is not reported.  What is reported is only that a CO has previously been taken.  If the "dates" at issue are the opening of the collection later than the date of a prior charge-off, a collection open date is the date their received collection authority, and is usually after the date of a charge off. 

A charge-off does not prevent contnued collection on the full debt.

However, if you feel there is a documenatable error, then submit a dispute to get it corrected.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.