cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting late/missed payments after CR says the account is closed?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting late/missed payments after CR says the account is closed?!?

Here are some quick facts

• I have 3 PAID IN FULL student loan collections from my University/ECSI. 
  • They all are reporting on my CR as a $0 balance and showing status as "paid in full"
  • All are for different amounts less than $1500 but again, all show the balance as being $0 and paid
  • They all show that the accounts were closed in December 2009. 
  • They are all showing that they will fall off my credit reports (all of them) sometime between Jan. 2016 and March 2016.
  • They ALL show late/missed payments of 30 days late, 60 days late, 120 days late+ for months AFTER DECEMBER 2009. i.e. "Jan 2010, Feb. 2010 showing 30/60/90 late payments, etc.
  • I plan to apply for a mortgage in June of 2015. 

My question is.. Is this accurate? Can a CA report late payments/past due payments AFTER it shows the account is closed? How can their be late payments on an open account? I know it seems small but I think improving reporting on my credit report any little bit will help and I was considering disputing them.

My other question is, these accounts are also the accounts that kept my average age of accounts at 11 years (im 29, only had credit since I was 18). If they drop off, even if they are bad, I am afraid that this will shrink my average age of account so low it will have a huge effect on my credit score which would be bad. So i dont know which is better.Leave them alone and let them keep inflating my averager age of accounts or dispute them and maybe get them deleted completed or at least get the post-closed late payments off?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Reporting late/missed payments after CR says the account is closed?!?

They can show lates on the account up until the time they were paid.  After they were paid, there can not be a late on a $0 account.

as for the affect on your AAoA, yes, you can take a hit.  But for me a cleaner report is much better.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.