Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting late payments after account was charged off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting late payments after account was charged off

Hi, so in Oct 2014 I became  delinquent on my First Premire Credit Card due to a lay off. They charged off the account in February 2015 and closed the account. Flash forward to 2016 I started to rebuild my credit in order to purchase a home, so I was told by a lady helping me rebuild my credit to pay the first premire credit card off. I recieved a settlement letter for almost half of what I owed ($265 of $451). I tried to get them to do a PFD and was told that once I paid the account they would remove it from my credit profile but I couldn't get them to put it in writing. So I knew paying them wouldn't delete it even though they said they would, but I thought by paying the account in full I would have a tree shot of getting the account removed later. So anyway I paid the account in full, like I was told to do and my score dropped another 20 points (it dropped 40 points when it first reported with the collection agency). The collection agency removed their reporting but First Premire stayed on. 

Before I paid the account there was nothing reported after the charge off date of Feb. 2015. Once I paid the account they reported I was 120 past due from February 2015 all the way to July 2016. So I know have over 16 120 days past due reporting on my credit. It is killing my score and keeping me from purchasing a home. 

Mid this legal for them to do this? I thought once an account was charged off they could not report anymore missed payments than was reported before the charge off date. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Reporting late payments after account was charged off

A charge-off is an accounting measure that moves a debt in their books from a receivable asset to a non-receivable bad debt, removing it from their assets and then permitting a tax writeoff.

It does not terminate the delinquency status, or prevent additional delinquencies from occuring and being reported.

While some creditors will cease reporting of additional monthly delinquencies after taking a charge-off, it is not improper to continue such reporting.

Further delinquencies are prevented by discharge of the debt.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So even though they stopped reporting after the charge off in Feb. 2015 until I paid it, then 18 over 120 days past due start reporting and that is legal? 

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes

Message 4 of 5
AMil93
Established Member

Well that messed up my entire plan. Lol thanks for answering!

^ignore this. This was for a different thread 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.