Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting sold debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting sold debt

Hey guys,

A certain debt I owe was recently sold to a new creditor, and I received a letter saying that if I pay within 35 days, they will not submit a negative credit report.  If I pay the debt in the specified time frame and the new creditor declines to report, does the previous owner of the debt have to delete the tradeline from my report?

Helpful information would be much appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Reporting sold debt

No.

The original creditor was required to have promptly updated the current debt balance to $0 upon sale of the debt.

However, their reporting of account history is not required to be deleted.

Retaining past account histories for access by others is the primary intent of the credit reporting system, and passage of a debt to another party does not negate teh value of past history on the debt.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

A certain debt I owe was recently sold to a new creditor, and I received a letter saying that if I pay within 35 days, they will not submit a negative credit report.  If I pay the debt in the specified time frame and the new creditor declines to report, does the previous owner of the debt have to delete the tradeline from my report?

Helpful information would be much appreciated!

Well, actually it depends on whether the previous owner was the Original Creditor, or another collector. If it was another collector, then yes, they should delete. The OC is not required to delete.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OC turned over to collections agency quickly without reporting.  

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OC turned over to collections agency quickly without reporting.  

OK, but that doesn't make it clear as to whether there is an intervening CA between the one mentioned in your original post and the OC. So the OC is not reporting anything - is there ANOTHER collector reporting?

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If a CA is reporting and they sell the debt to another CA, then the first CA "should" delete their post.  That is the way it is suggested, however there is nothing that demands that they remove it.  It just says should.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.