Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to remove Credit Inquiry

tag
kimball00
Valued Member

Request to remove Credit Inquiry

Recently sent out requests to 6 different companies to remove inquiries they have placed into my credit. The response that I got back was, well, no response. A few sent letters back stating they have received my "dispute" (even though I explicitly mentioned I was not disputing anything) and just told me the different types of inquiries that exist. Seems to me this is the standard response to this type of request since all the companies responded with similar letters. Any suggestions on how to reply? What to say? Key words to get them to remove these inquiries?

As always, thanks for the help!

MyFico: Equifax:
643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

GOAL: 700 by 1/1/13
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Request to remove Credit Inquiry

When were the inquries?

Why are you trying to get them removed?

Message 2 of 18
algorithmslave
New Contributor

I have a similiar issue with what happened while I was car shopping. One lot sent out five inquiries. Well WFDS and Chase both did not follow the rules, of course. I asked for my bailout like they did.......oooopppppssss sorry....I asked for these inquiries to be removed on the account that shopping for the same loan within 2 week to 30 day period should only count as a one. Well, the banks did not respond but rather EQ responded and said, "Inquiries are factual information". Interesting how there is a button that even allows one to dispute 'factual' information if thats the case! 

You can wrap me in your flag, make me say a praise to your creator and make me spend your currency, but remember this, I am a loyal servant to Justice and a Patriot to none. I am free...
Message 3 of 18
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

I got the same message from Equifax regarding a capital 1 inquiry.  It was not supposed to be on my credit at least I thought, because i filled out for one of those prequal applications.  Well, I called capital 1 and they were really awkward about it so I just hung up the phone.  I must have had an account when I was like 18 or something which was 20 years ago because they were asking "Are you calling about your old account'?  I didnt want to deal with it.  I dont even remember having an account.  Weird!

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 18
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

With car shopping (and mortgage shopping), inquiries very close together are counted as one. When applying for a credit card, tell them that the inquiries within that car shopping period were from that.
Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 5 of 18
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 6 of 18
algorithmslave
New Contributor

@kimmiller112,

Is this counting as one for all inquiries within a certain time automatic? Or does the mortgage broker or car lot have to report it that way? 

You can wrap me in your flag, make me say a praise to your creator and make me spend your currency, but remember this, I am a loyal servant to Justice and a Patriot to none. I am free...
Message 7 of 18
kimball00
Valued Member

They were forr different things. One collection agency, a few credit cards, etc.. Trying to eventually get a mortgage, getting everything off my report that I can helps.

643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

Message 8 of 18
kimball00
Valued Member

Be careful, you may want to follow-up.. What if it's identity theft?

643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

Message 9 of 18
kimball00
Valued Member

Im looking for specific things to say to clue them that I want these inquiries off my reports. Has anyone been able to get an inquiry removed? What did you say?

643 9/5/12
629 7/23/12
618 8/7/12

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.