Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting Information from OC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Requesting Information from OC

After reviewing my EQ & EX CR, I've noticed that the DOFD is different by 6 months on the reports.  I don't have any infomation regarding my payment history and was thinking of requesting my payment history from the OC.  I'm hoping to use the information to dispute the later DOFD.  Any recommendations?  This will be my first time attempting a dispute directly to the OC.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Requesting Information from OC

What kind of derogatory account is it? A charge-off? Or a collection? Either way, is it paid or unpaid? And how long ago was the DOFD?

Basically, if it's a paid derogatory then you should definitely contact them to see if their records can sort it out for you. If it's unpaid, you'd want to be careful that the account is already past your state's SOL - unless you are prepared to pay immediately if they demand it. This kind of communication is sometimes referred to as "poking the bear" if the account is still unpaid - they may take your outreach as an opportunity to start more aggressive collection tactics, especially if they're still within SOL.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 2 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Is the account now delinquent?

Has the creditor reported a charge-off or collection referral? 

Does your credit report clearly identify a reported DOFD, or does it only provide an estinated exclusion date?

If the DOFD is reported differently with different CRAs, then one is clearly inaccurate.  Just document that inaccuracy by providing a copy of a recent CR from each that shows the discrepancy.  Send that as your support of your direct dispute.

The creditor would then correct one or the other based on their records.  Deletion of the reported DOFD would not be an option if they have reported a charge-off, as reporting of a DOFD would then be a requirement of statute.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is for a Car Repossession.....for the remaining balance left after it was sold. it is unpaid and the SOL has expired for NC (I pretty sure, but not 100%).  It is also due to fall of 4/2017 but could possibly be off sooner if the DOFD matched the other.

i just wanted to see if I could get the DOFD dates to match so they can fall off simultaneously.  

However,  I DO NOT want to "poke the sleeping bear"! So, should I just let it go?

Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If outside of SOL, then there is little that the bear could do if poked.

DOFD is a matter of fact, and should be the same regardless of who reported to.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is considered a charge-off.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So......being that DOFD is a "matter of fact".....AND.....it's past the SOL.   What are my options?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can contact the CRA's and get the actual reported DoFD from them. It might cost a few bucks.

Is the original account not showing a payment history on your reports?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes....I have both CR dated 3/2015 and the DOFD are reported differently.  

I have this problem with several tradelines and I tried addressing it with the CRA and i'm sure I did something wrong, because it came back "VERIFIED".  Not the outcome I was looking for.  

This time, I seeking expert advice.  So, I don't think going to the CRA will work unless I have back up. (Which I don't have).  Which is why I wanted to request a copy of my payment history.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Following your recommendation, there is a chance that the OC could change the preferred DOFD to the later DOFD.  Should I also request the payment history? I just want to make sure they are making the correct change.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.