cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting removal of late payment reporting?

tag
Midwestsho
Established Member

Requesting removal of late payment reporting?

Hey all.  I have a Chase card that I almost never use.  I just let my wife put ocassional charges on it so there's activity.  Well, one of the negatives of not using the card regularly means that I forgot to pay it for two months in a row.  No contact from Chase, no emails telling me I'm late, nothing.  I'm not blaming them.  It's not their job to get me to pay on time.  

The killer is that it's only $126.00 and it's knocked my score from low 700's to a 593 though I'm sure some of that has to do with me having a 20k balance on my AMEX right now (which will of course be paid off by the end of the month).  

Am I SOL here or can I call in, ask them to look at my history and possibly get them to remove this?  Has anyone had such luck with any bank?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Midwestsho
Established Member

Re: Requesting removal of late payment reporting?

Talk about bad timing...  So apparently it's only one month that I'm past due but it's over 30 days so that's what it's reported as right now.  My bigger concern is that they knocked down my limit to $500 from $2000 because of it.  To further compound this, I applied for a new AMEX last week so I could have some larger inventory purchases be on revolving accounts instead of my charge card.  So I stuck myself on AMEX's radar and then completely putzed things up.

I spoke with Chase this afternoon and of course got someone in a call center with a heavy accent.  I shared my concerns with her but she kept thinking I was concerned about a late payment fee instead of what I was really concerned about: the payment being reported as late on my credit report.  Finally she seemed to get it and said she removed it so that the next time it updates it shouldn't show that.  I'm 50% on whether or not I believe her.  She went from having no idea what I was talking about to saying that she removed the negative off the report.  

So then I asked about the credit limit and she gave me a number in the US to call to get that hopefully bumped back up.  Hopefully they can confirm that the negative is removed from my report and they can get the limit back up.  I'm crossing my fingers here.  I just moved all my banking business to Chase so hopefully they can look at that, look at my history and then knock it back up.  

God forbid Amex runs a review on me and sees a late payment and a 593 credit score all while I'm trying to get another card from them.  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, but with CapitalOne. I very rarely use the card, but when I do I always pay off the balance. Several months ago, I paid the balance online on the due date..... BUT it didn't get processed until the next day. The next month Cap1 issued a late fee, but I only get electronic statements and for some reason my email stopped getting correspondence from Cap1 so I had no idea I had a late fee. For 3.5 months I thought I had a zero balance on the card until I tried to use it and it got declined! After all day on the phone with them, I finally got connected to an account manager who was very helpful. I explained the circumstances to her and she agreed to removed all of the late fees and delete the derog on my credit report. Its only been a few days and the fees have been removed..... but she told me it could take 30-60 days for the correction to be made to my report. Guess now, like you, I just have to play the waiting game. I am very anxious to have this derog removed. 

Message 3 of 10
Midwestsho
Established Member

I'm just happy to hear it can be done.  As long as it can be done I'm pretty sure I can talk them into doing it.  You reminded me about my Cap 1 card too! :-)  I only have the card because it's the oldest account I have.  

My main concern at this point is my Amex card.  I don't want them doing a soft pull and seeing that I requested another card from them while simultaneously having a 100pt score drop and a 30 day late reporting.

Message 4 of 10
Midwestsho
Established Member

Doesn't look like anyone is following this but I'll post up my results just in case someone happens to stumble upon it in a search.

I called Chase again today.  They verified my income and put the credit limit back up.  Likewise, she confirmed that there was a request in their system to revise the late reporting so this won't show as late.  Yay. :-)

Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. It can be done..... but I should mention that I've had this card for 10yrs and NEVER been even 1 day late before, which I think really helped me. I just don't want people to read this and get comfertable paying late all the while thinking they can just call and have the derog removed.  Best to pay everything on time (or early if you're paying online...which I learned the hard way Smiley Frustrated)  and avoid ever having to go through this in the first place. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Success!!! Just pulled my free report from Experian and the derogs have been deleted, and I'm back to ZERO degrogs on my report...plus my score jumped up 95 pointsSmiley Very Happy! I'll wait a few days and then check my EQ and TU. Best of luck to everyone else in this situation. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad it worked out for you! 

Message 9 of 10
bumpo

Hi! I am in the same boat as you. I have a Chase credit card which I do not use often. I paid of the credit card in may and I didn't pay off the entire balance by 26 dollars. When I got my statement in June. I didn't look at it, yes, my fault because I assumed I paid it off. In July 2013, Chase reported me as 30 days late as it was 60 days late. July was a blurr for me as my Mom was in ICU the entire month. I figured this out because I got a letter from Citicorp stating that they lowered my available credit to the balance due to a late.When I got this I immediately paid it off, which was 12 days over the 60 day limit of reporting to the credit bureaus.  I had an 806 fico and it dropped due to the late to 676. This drop was also due to the fact that my credit card balances went above 50% due to them lowering my available credit. I went into my Chase branch and they told me I would have to dispute this with the credit bureaus but what I am asking for is Chase to do a Goodwill adjustment since I am a preferred client and banker and I have never been late in 40 years. My question to you, is to you have the name and contact information that you spoke with and in what department? I have not been successful as it seems like I always end up with someone who does not speak very good english. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and perhaps a sample of exactly what you asked for and how you worded it? Thanks!!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.