Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resold collection account?

tag
meeklo062704
New Contributor

Resold collection account?

I had a collection from Time Warner for $247, and it went into collectioms with CBA Collection Bureau in 05/10. I tried for a PFD with them before, but they were incredibly rude, so that didnt go far. I decided to ride out the statute and call it a day. Well in the beginning of june I started getting one ring hangup calls, or hangup when you answer calls from MRS Associates several times a day. When I finally called and went through the options, they said they were collecting on behalf of Time Warner. The CBA Collection Bureau account is gone now, so I'm guessing they sold the debt to MRS Associates. I'm not really up on my collection laws, so I'm wondering can they do that?

I didnt acknowledge anything when I spoke with them. I asked what it was regarding, then she asked me to verify my address. I told her I didnt believe the account was mine as the account was supposed to be with CBA. She asked me to verify my home address, and she immediately hung up when I said I wouldn't. So I'm wondering what my best course of action would be on this one. Can my debt be resold a month before the statute expires? (I'm in California) I just paid off a perfect 3 year car note last week, and am looking to buy a second car. Ive pulled my fico from the 400s to just over 600, and the last thing I need is another collection. Advice?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Resold collection account?

@meeklo062704 wrote:

I had a collection from Time Warner for $247, and it went into collectioms with CBA Collection Bureau in 05/10. I tried for a PFD with them before, but they were incredibly rude, so that didnt go far. I decided to ride out the statute and call it a day. Well in the beginning of june I started getting one ring hangup calls, or hangup when you answer calls from MRS Associates several times a day. When I finally called and went through the options, they said they were collecting on behalf of Time Warner. The CBA Collection Bureau account is gone now, so I'm guessing they sold the debt to MRS Associates. I'm not really up on my collection laws, so I'm wondering can they do that?

I didnt acknowledge anything when I spoke with them. I asked what it was regarding, then she asked me to verify my address. I told her I didnt believe the account was mine as the account was supposed to be with CBA. She asked me to verify my home address, and she immediately hung up when I said I wouldn't. So I'm wondering what my best course of action would be on this one. Can my debt be resold a month before the statute expires? (I'm in California) I just paid off a perfect 3 year car note last week, and am looking to buy a second car. Ive pulled my fico from the 400s to just over 600, and the last thing I need is another collection. Advice?

Yes the OC can pull collections and assign to another if they still own the debt. If the debt has been sold to a JDB then they can sell to another JDB at any time. I would contact TW and see if they still own the debt if they do I would ask them to cancel the collection and then settle with them directly, if they indicate its been sold lay low, do not answer the new JDBs calls or do anything else until the SOL passes.

Message 2 of 5
meeklo062704
New Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Yes the OC can pull collections and assign to another if they still own the debt. If the debt has been sold to a JDB then they can sell to another JDB at any time. I would contact TW and see if they still own the debt if they do I would ask them to cancel the collection and then settle with them directly, if they indicate its been sold lay low, do not answer the new JDBs calls or do anything else until the SOL passes.

How likely are they to accept a PFD? I've read a few things online about them being particularly nasty in their collection efforts. Things like calling before and after hours, swearing at people, insulting them, etc.... Will an account that small from that long ago have a large effect on my score? Just checking because if it's not a large hit, might as well let the SOL run out. Does selling the debt make it go a whole new SOL time frame?

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@meeklo062704 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

How likely are they to accept a PFD? I've read a few things online about them being particularly nasty in their collection efforts. Things like calling before and after hours, swearing at people, insulting them, etc.... Will an account that small from that long ago have a large effect on my score? Just checking because if it's not a large hit, might as well let the SOL run out. Does selling the debt make it go a whole new SOL time frame?

I dont have any info on that CA, selling the debt does not reage the SOL, the SOL runs from the DoFD of the OC and doesnt change unless you are in a state that allows it to update on a new signed promise to pay. If the new CA reports it, it will look brand new to Fico even though the DoFD is years ago,
Message 4 of 5
meeklo062704
New Contributor

So if I just lay low and don't acknowledge them or the debt, it'll fall off on it's own since the original collection was opened in 2010?

@gdale6 wrote:

@meeklo062704 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

I dont have any info on that CA, selling the debt does not reage the SOL, the SOL runs from the DoFD of the OC and doesnt change unless you are in a state that allows it to update on a new signed promise to pay. If the new CA reports it, it will look brand new to Fico even though the DoFD is years ago,
So if I leave it alone, it should fall off pretty quickly since the original collection was opened in 2010?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.