Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response for PFD #1

tag
dougnukem
New Contributor

Response for PFD #1

Just got off the phone with the attorney's office that is handling the collection account for an old medical bill.  I had mailed them a PFD last week, along with another place.  They told me they received my letter and understand I am willing to pay the full amount, but will not remove the collection.  They will update the balance to a zero balance.  

Is this still a victory credit-wise, or will it have no impact until I can get a GW to get them to remove it completely?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
lesse
Frequent Contributor

Re: Response for PFD #1

A collection acct has the same negative impact paid or not paid ... U really want to try to get it removed for it to have a positive affect. I would try to contact the oc for the medical debt to see if u can pay them and hav them recall from the collections
START (FICO): 1/28/2013 EQ: 499 EX: 558 TU: 536
Lender Pull:
UPDATED SCORE 10/2015: EX: 763 TU: 709 EQ: 720

GOAL 800 Across the board
Wallet:Credit One $600; NFCU (secured- Changed to unsecured) $7500; NFCU (Unsecured)$500- increase to $12,500 BOA: $1000 Home Depot/Lowes $800 each Childrens Place $350 Sams Club $800
Garden Time Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I wouldnt really call it a victory.  If you pay it in full they are required to report it as so.  Is it still within the SOL? If so I would contact the OC and see if there was anything that could be done through them. If not then I would go ahead and pay it and call it a victory because I paid off an old debt, not that they had done me a favor.

Message 3 of 6
dougnukem
New Contributor

Unfortunately, I sent the PFD to the CA because I had spoken with the OC a month ago.  They had said they couldn't do anything for me.   It is a hospital bill from 2009, so I'm guessing they have long since washed their hands of the bill.  I could give them another call and see if I need to speak with someone higher up than the standard level employee that answers in the billing department, not sure if hospital billing is set up like that though.  

Message 4 of 6
sosabe77
Contributor

Moral victory maybe.  Paid collection is still pretty bad in terms of scoring.

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
dougnukem
New Contributor

Yea, that's what I figured.

I was able to get in touch with both collection's OCs and neither one can take the account back for a payment.  So I'm stuck paying the CAs and eating the collections on my account for the 7 years, unless I luck out with a GW.  Suppose I should be grateful that I can at least pay them now, since I was unemployed for about three years right when these both transpired.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.