Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response from BBB complaint

tag
aj1901
Regular Contributor

Response from BBB complaint

So I got a response from a BBB complaint I submitted to a collection agency since they refuse to remove a bill that's not mine from an emergency room. They are aski g me to fill out a hippa form. Do I fill it out? Whosever medical info they have its definitely not mine. Wouldn't releasing someone's info be a violation of hippa if the wrong person signs it? What should I do?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Response from BBB complaint

I don't know what a HIPAA form is and can't imagine why they would need it.

File a fraud and police report.

Message 2 of 9
justrock
Frequent Contributor

They need a HIPPA auth to get the OC to release the bills.  Health care provider can not release any info without it.

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, it would be a violation.  If the account is not yours a medical release form is not going to help.

Message 4 of 9
gregcurryesq
Established Member

HIPAA is a federal law that makes sure your medical information is kept private. A HIPAA authorization is a standard form, signed by you, authorizing the release of certain medical information to a designated party. Only the designated party can submit the signed HIPAA and get the specific information you want to turn over. 

By way of example, they are used in personal injury cases. Someone sues for an accident. The defendant demands HIPAA authorizations for all medical providers the plaintiff saw to treat the injuries that are the subject of the lawsuit. They send the HIPAA to the doctors/hospitals, and the doctors/hospitals send back the person's medical records. 

Here is one we use in New York, for your reference. http://www.nycourts.gov/forms/hipaa_fillable.pdf

Long Island, NY. **The views expressed by me on this site are my opinions only, are not intended to constitute legal advice, should not be relied on as legal advice, and are not intended to create any attorney-client relationship.**
Message 5 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I'll clarify myself.  I know what HIPAA is and the laws.  I did not know what a HIPAA letter was.  Must be the same as a medical release form.

Again, though, if the account is not the OPs, it would be a violation to release someone elses information.

Message 6 of 9
aj1901
Regular Contributor

So what do you recommend I respond with? Something along the lines of "this debt isn't mine so filling out this form is useless?"
Message 7 of 9
aj1901
Regular Contributor

I obviously know the purpose of the form, but I just wasn't sure of how filling one out can help when it's not mine to begin with.
Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I don't know how it is supposed to help either.

Did you file a police report and FTC Fraud Affidavit

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.