Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response to DV

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Response to DV

I received a response to a DV letter, and in my opinion, it doesn't validate.

"In response to your request, please see the attached information.  After reviewing, please contact our office at the above number.

Please not, the balance reflected on any itemization will be as of the last transaction date reflected on the statement.

A $30.00 fee will be charged for returned checks and drafts.  Minimum office hours (except office observed holidays) 8 A.M. - 5 P.M.

New York City Department of Consumer Affairs License Board Number: 1133821.  This collection agenct is licensed by the Tennessee Collection Service Board of the Department of Commerce and Insurance.

Federal law requires that we inform you we are debt collectors attempting to collect a debt and any information will be used for that purpose"

They enclosed a statement that does not bear my signature.  It is only an itemized bill.  What should be my next step? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Response to DV

All they have to give you is who is collecting and the amount.  If you ask for the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the account, they must include that also.

DV does not establish that you own the debt, only that one exists. 

If they provided the above, it is validated.

If you do not believe it to be your debt there are other routes to take.

Message 2 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@EDub357 wrote:

I received a response to a DV letter, and in my opinion, it doesn't validate.

"In response to your request, please see the attached information.  After reviewing, please contact our office at the above number.

Please not, the balance reflected on any itemization will be as of the last transaction date reflected on the statement.

A $30.00 fee will be charged for returned checks and drafts.  Minimum office hours (except office observed holidays) 8 A.M. - 5 P.M.

New York City Department of Consumer Affairs License Board Number: 1133821.  This collection agenct is licensed by the Tennessee Collection Service Board of the Department of Commerce and Insurance.

Federal law requires that we inform you we are debt collectors attempting to collect a debt and any information will be used for that purpose"

They enclosed a statement that does not bear my signature.  It is only an itemized bill.  What should be my next step? 

Your signature does not have to be included in the validation of the debt they have. What does the exact statement say? 

Message 3 of 6
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

The account is not mine.  What other steps should I take? The statement just list the charges monthly, nothing specific.

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

File an FTC Fraud Affidavit.  Do everything it says to do then send it to the CRAs asking them to block the account as fraud.  Also send it the the creditor/CA.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/resources/forms/affidavit.pdf

Message 5 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.