Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response to demand for Debt Validation

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Response to demand for Debt Validation

I sent a letter to a debt collector pursuant to FDCPA and received a response from them.  Their response was:

"We acknowledge receipt of your request for verification of the above account which has been placed with us for collection.  We are requesting this information and will forward it to you upon receipt."

Am I correct, but it is my understanding that they do not have any documentation and are waiting to see what they can get from the OC?  Is that an "admission" of erroneous reporting to the CRA?  What should my next step be?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Response to demand for Debt Validation

@EDub357 wrote:

I sent a letter to a debt collector pursuant to FDCPA and received a response from them.  Their response was:

"We acknowledge receipt of your request for verification of the above account which has been placed with us for collection.  We are requesting this information and will forward it to you upon receipt."

Am I correct, but it is my understanding that they do not have any documentation and are waiting to see what they can get from the OC?  Is that an "admission" of erroneous reporting to the CRA?  What should my next step be?

It means that they are attempting to get the information from the OC.  If you have not received anything within 30 days of sending the DV, I would send a direct dispute to the CA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Should any and all information have been turned over to the debt collector initially?  And shouldn't that debt collector have that information before they report to the CRA?  It is reporting on my reports.

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

All they have to tell you is who is collecting and how much the debt is.  If you ask for the name and address of the OC and an itemization, they have to send you that also.

The fact that they are getting documentation from the OC is a good thing.

No, they do not have to have it before reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.