cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning from the Brink

tag
tp747489

Returning from the Brink

I had great credit until my divorce 7 years ago.  My ex fought the divorce and ended up costing me a fortune in legal fees.  During this time I ended up using credit to survive.  I also lost my job about 5 months later and it was a true financial disaster.  I ran up debt and couldn't pay and became a person I never believed I would.  Fast forward several years and I have a bunch of negative history on my credit as well as collection activity.  I think my last score was around 590.  On top of all that, I have a substantial federal tax lien that came in late last year.  The bankruptcy thing I never considered as I truly thought I would be able to one day dig myself out of this mess.

Now, things are starting to look up financially and I have a job where I have been able to put money aside and have hired a firm to work on the tax lien issue and try to settle that for me.  I seriously want to rebuild my credit and don't know where to start.  The problem that I have is I have several accounts that were written off by the original lender and have collection accounts for many of those as well.  It has been so long since this started that I really don't receive any documents anymore from even collection agencies.  All the information I have about the debts are what is listed on my credit reports.

My question is two-fold.  Is it best to try to negotiate with the collection agencies at this point or since the debt is so old (4-6 years) that I should just wait it out?  I really hate not paying back money but is it going to make my credit worse by revisiting the issue now?  I am not sure how to do it even as the accounts have been sold over and over.  I also wasn't sure if I should just hold off on all that until after the tax lien issue has been resolved?  I don't mind having a payment plan for the IRS but want to get both the lien and the credit issues resolved as quickly as possible.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you so much!

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.