cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rev'd collections ltr for account I never had!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rev'd collections ltr for account I never had!

Got Collections letter today (from a CA)  for supposed amount due on an Allstate Insurance policy.  Never had Allstate as an insurer, so I can't wait for them to produce a document with my signature on it.  Next step?  Send the DV letter?  Call Allstate?  The letter is from the CA, not Allstate.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Rev'd collections ltr for account I never had!

Send them a debt validation letter.

You can do a search for a template on this site, or just google "Debt Validation Letter" and send it to them.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've download the DV template letter from here, so I'll send that out.

Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Something like this is all you need to say in a DV letter:

"Please send me validation of the debt you say I owe".

Send the letter CMRRR.

ETA: Many of the templates you'll find here and other places make demands and requests that a CA is not required to supply. Keep it short and sweet.

Message 4 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've download the DV template letter from here, so I'll send that out.

Make sure you send it certified with signature conformation.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Under section 809(b), they are not required to provide you with written documention supporting their verification of the debt.

They are required to obtain affirmance from the creditor that they verify the accuracy of the debt, and pass that verification on to you.

In my opinion, your suggestion to also call the OC is excellent.  If the debt collector responds to your DV with an assertion that they have obtained verification of accuracy from the OC, yet the OC tells you otherwise, you have factual basis for challenging the accuracy of any verification they might provide.

If you wish to up the heat and compel documentation, the identity theft provisions of the FCRA permit you to do so, provided you are willing to make the assertion that since you did not have an account with them, any assertion of such an account must have resulted from identity theft.  That opens the door to compelling the OC and debt collector to provide any documentation in their possession.

A DV alone will not do that, at least based on the general interpretation of the statute.

Message 6 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would also contact Allstate and see what they can do.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called Allstate last night.  They pulled up the policy,and disturbingly, the policy did have my address and birthyear, but not an SSN or other identifying info on me.  I have credit monitoring, so I'm not too worried about ID theft.

I explained the situation, and the rep opened up a case on it, and asked me if I could fax them proof that I've been insured by my actual insurance company for the time period in question (which I did, this morning).

I will follow up with Allstate in a few days to make sure they zero out the debt, at which time I will send the letter to the CA, asking them to validate the debt (which, by then, they will be unable to do, since the balance will be zero).

It is unbelievable that I have to do all this work for a policy that I never had.  I've been insured by Amica for over 15 years, never been with Allstate. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.