Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolving credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revolving credit

I paid my revolving credit down from 43% to 10% and only saw an 8 point move on TU and a 7 point on EQ. That's with no other changes on my reports.  Does it definitly need to drop below 10% to see a big jump. I was expecting at least a 15 point change.
Message Edited by Ryanfico on 05-08-2009 06:45 AM
Message Edited by Ryanfico on 05-08-2009 06:57 AM
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Revolving credit

Where did you get these scores?  EX does not provide FICO's anymore (stopped on Feb 14, 2009).  So if you are using any other score (not obtained at MyFICO.com), then you shouldn't really be concerned with the effect.  Get your FICO's here. Then post those results.
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry that should be EQ. I have been buying my score on this site. I have actually bought both scores 6 times in the last month and a half. So I've been monitoring my score very closely.
Message 3 of 23
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Mix of credit plays a big part into utilization gains, IMO. How many CCs do you have?
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry that should be EQ. I have been buying my score on this site. I have actually bought both scores 6 times in the last month and a half. So I've been monitoring my score very closely.

I'd suggest using that money to pay the CC's Smiley Happy

Checking it every week isn't necessary.  Possibly 1x per month or in extreme circumstances 2x in a month for particular purpose.  But even with the Discount Code, you are popping $25 per 2 reports, so I suggest use the money strategically.

Subscribe to one of the services that allow you to get updated credit reports.  Review the "content" and not worry about the score for now.  If you follow the guidelines of good credit and see these things taking place in the credit report, you can have confidence the scores will reflect this because scores are calculated on the content.

Paying the cc's down is good.  Keep it under 10% for best utiliation (7% if you want to mirror FICO high achievers).  Don't allow more than 1 cc to report a balance.

How old is your oldest account?  What is your AAoA?  How old is your newest account?  How many inquiries?  What derogs do you have and how recent?  How many balances on ALL loans and CC's?  What is the CC total balance amout? 

It may be that you need to allow some account aging, inquiries to go past  year, reduce number of balances, etc.

Message Edited by txjohn on 05-10-2009 06:17 AM
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just 1 Smiley Happy, I try not to apply for CC's. Nothing else has changed Im positive. I have 3 90 day from 3 separate Nelnet accounts those are 6 years old ( did a GW yesterday). I have 1 judgement that is 5 years old and paid in full ( I didn't agree with this and went to court had no idea it would end up on my report). Average age of accounts 8 years.

TU: 686

EQ: 678

Message Edited by Ryanfico on 05-08-2009 07:14 AM
Message 6 of 23
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ryanfico wrote:

Just 1 Smiley Happy,

Just as I suspected. While you certainly can have high 700 scores (and probably into the 800s) with only one CC, the points gained would be lower with the one in comparison to having multiple CCs and paying them down to the same util percentage. If you don't want any more CCs (depends on your goals), then try tweaking the one to report 5%, 3%, $1, etc. You may eeek out a few points here or there.

Message 7 of 23
203bravo
Established Contributor

Also what is the age of the credit card?  If it's young you may not see the point gain as well.  Do you have any other credit in your mix?  Installment loans?(student loan, car loan, mortgage?)

The account that was 30 days past due - is it still open and current?  The 30 day late will hurt less as it ages.

You are on the right track, it's just not a quick process - as you've discovered.

Best of luck.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

203bravo wrote:

Also what is the age of the credit card?  If it's young you may not see the point gain as well. 

To my knowledge, age of an account and utilization doesn't affect one another. If you are going to get 15 points for paying down a CC, you will get it whether the CC was opened a year ago or ten years ago.

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card is 3 years old. My 90 day late entries are 6 years old. I do have 1 Car loan  (3 years old) about 15000 and Student loans about 20000 (6 years old average). All paid to date, no lates. Might sound like a dumb question, but are my score even high enough to get another card.

TU: 686

EQ: 678

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.