cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolving or Installment Acount...which is Better to Rebuild Credit?

tag
WaterOverFire
Established Member

Revolving or Installment Acount...which is Better to Rebuild Credit?

I currently have no open tradelines which is doing nothing to increase my credit scores. I'm trying to rebuild my credit / increase credit scores and I looked into an auto loan and/or secured credit card to rebuild.

I was approved by my credit union for an auto loan but only up to 70% LTV and my rate was high so I decided to decline that route. Money out of pocket plus high rates may not justify an opportunity to drastically improve my scores.

The next option to rebuild my credit is a secured credit card... My question is, will one have a more positive impact than the other provided it's paid on time over the course of 12 months? If paying on time on a secured credit card (then graduating to an unsecured card) has the same positive impact as an installment loan, then I don't need to take out a car loan just to rebuild my credit. Sure I'd like to have a newer car but I don't need one and IF paying on time on a secured card will have the same positive impact on my scores then it makes more sense to go that route. 

If I went the car payment route, I'd aim for a manageable $250/month.

If I went the secured credit card route, I'd deposit $300, use about half and pay off all but $20 each month to retain a balance.

Any input appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Revolving or Installment Acount...which is Better to Rebuild Credit?

revolving credit lines always pound sand out of instalment loans. revolvers make up the bulk of your FICO score, 30% of the score is weighted to utilization percentages of revolving cards alone. Secured card is the way to go, SDFCU has one without a HP if you already have the money in savings and app for it over the phone.

Message 2 of 3
WaterOverFire
Established Member

Re: Revolving or Installment Acount...which is Better to Rebuild Credit?

Awesome, then I might just open 2 secured cards instead of the installment loan. SDFCU is the first one I'm looking into. Thanks for the input. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.