Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right to file Suit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right to file Suit?

SCENARIO: Received a collection notice from Alpha Inc on 7 JUL 10 regarding an unpaid debt for $430.  Alpha Inc was sent a request for validation, pursuant to the FDCPA (15 USC 1692g § 809b), via certified mail on 27 JUL 10 (Within the required 30-days).  My request for Validation went unanswered; however Alpha Inc reported the debt to two credit reporting agencies after they received my request for Validation.  I disputed the entry with both reporting agencies and sent another letter (certified mail) to Alpha Inc demanding the entry be deleted from both credit reports.  The two credit agencies both denied my claim and Alpha Inc never responded nor deleted the item from either report.

THE KICKER (Where I may have screwed myself.): I paid the debt in full to the OC on August 6th.  (Technically still within the thirty days of the first collection notice.)

QUESTIONS: Do I still have grounds for a civil action under the FDCPA (15 USC 1692g § 809b)? How does paying that debt within the thirty days affect my claim?

I really just want the item removed from my report… but, I would also love to take it to these people.  “Alpha Inc” is a made up name, but these people are particularly nasty.  Case in point: A quick Google search has revealed that their ‘Registered Agent’ is a two-time felon currently on parol for a meth charge.

What say you all? I just need a clearer explanation of the FDCPA and how this scenario fits. THX! -TR

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.