Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rock Bottom

tag
Running
New Visitor

Rock Bottom

I've hit rock bottom in my life. My credit score is a 380. It was a 680 last year. My husband and I have been struggling very bad over the last year. We lost his business and house. I lost my high paying job and making minimum payments became impossible at times resulting in repeated dings to my credit. I've even thought about selling my wedding ring to pay for things. I have $10,000 in unsecured debt and 80k in student loans that are in forebearance right now. I don't know what to do. Should I file for bankruptcy? I understand that after bankruptcy is discharged I may be able to get a secured credit card and start repairing my credit. I just can't see the light right now and I'm scared we will never be able to buy a home again or own another vehicle. I'm just feeling so horrible.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rock Bottom

Sorry you are going through such a rough time.  BK can be good some times, but you have to see if it's good for you.  You say you have $10K in unsecured debt and then the SLs.  If they are federal, a BK doesn't discharge them.  So if that's the case, is $10K worth it to you in your situation?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

Good evening, I know it may seem as if you have hit rock bottom right now but, please believe me when I say, that all of us on the forum particularly in the re build section have all seen what looks like "ROCK BOTTOM". You will find a way to weather this storm, and I wish you all the courage and strength to do it!!

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
EQUIFAX 727 EXPERIAN 732 TRANSUNION 743 FICO} STARTING SCORE....554 July 2013
Message 3 of 6

I think 10k is doable. I had 25k in debt and was making minimum wage when I filed BK, and it was definitely the RIGHT decision. You might not be at that point yet. My accounts were all old and charged off, and I had a lawsuit on my hands. You may be able to salvage your situation and keep making minimum payments. But you have to get current. That's the important thing. Call your creditors, explain your situation and try to come up with something.

As for the student loans, they really aren't dischargeable in BK. I would advise getting under the IBR program for people dealing with financial hardship. You may qualify for a payment of $0 a month.

I am confident you can get this taken care of. I know it's tough, but you can get back on the path to rebuilding your financial life and your credit. But you have to make those first steps.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 4 of 6
spike69
Frequent Contributor

I don't have a lot to add from what others have said here other than to say- welcome to the board. There is a lot of great advice here. I would also advise that you call any creditors that have not CO'd your debt and see if there is a payment arrangement they are willing to make with you to get the 10k paid down w/o incuring a lot of additional debt through high interest rates and late fees? Finally, I agree with others on the student loans, you may qualify for a $0 payment based on your current situation.

Best to you

Message 5 of 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I think the first step is to get a job... pretty much any job will do.  I don't think $10k is a significant amount of debt.  I certainly wouldn't file BK over it.  Talk to your creditors and work out payment plans.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.