cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ruined credit as a young'n and now almost everything has fallen off... Where to start?

tag
PerArduaAdAstra
Valued Member

Ruined credit as a young'n and now almost everything has fallen off... Where to start?

Had some health issues when I was 18 and destroyed my credit. Now about 10 years later I only have 2 medical collections left on my reports for a couple hundred bucks. No other accounts, negatives, or history. CK puts my score at 565.

I'm going to try to get the 2 medical collections removed with HIPAA, but other than that what lines of credit can I apply for to start gardening and getting my score up? Can I qualify for a regular credit card since I only have a couple collections, or am I dreaming? The only other card I've ever had is a Cap One that I let CO for about $800. No longer shows on my file, but I imagine Cap One still has record of that and I probaly should avoid applying for them.

I have pretty good income and would love to apply for a car loan next year, but I know my credit will hold me back if I don't start sorting it out. So anything and everything I can do to put myself in a position to apply for a car loan in 12-18 months would be the goal of my rebuild program.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Ruined credit as a young'n and now almost everything has fallen off... Where to start?

What is the date of your first delinquency on the account(s) now reporting a collection?

If the debts became delinquent ten years ago, any collection should now be excluded........

Message 2 of 3
PerArduaAdAstra
Valued Member

Re: Ruined credit as a young'n and now almost everything has fallen off... Where to start?

I’m just giving rough estimates with the dates. It was a period of a few years I screwed up my credit and the last two collections will both fall off sometime in the next 18 months.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.